1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s the most you ever spent on 1 bass? And was it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian579, Apr 1, 2020.

1. brian579

brian579 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    What’s the most money you’ve ever spent on 1 bass? And was it worth it? Or do you regret it? For me it would be my 1963 Precision. It cost me $7000 and it was worth every penny. Best bass I own next to my Pino Precision.
    I always wanted a pre CBS P bass and I’m glad I bought one before they really become unattainable for my budget. No regrets.

2. dramatwist

dramatwist Suspended

Sep 27, 2019
    One thousand dollars. Took it back the next week.

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    $800 used. Very happy with it, but I definitely would've regretted the purchase had I paid MSRP new. I'm a big believer in the "let someone else take the depreciation hit" theory when it comes to buying stuff like autos and basses.

Eric66, feschyn, Voyevoda and 16 others like this.
  4. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    £3500 on a Spector in 2000. Still have it today. A couple of scratches but that's it. Bought an Alembic in Tokyo in 88. That got stolen. Still miss it.

5. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    $1k for the Jazz Bass I have now.

Adjectives, jamro217 and brian579 like this.
  6. reno88

reno88

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    In '91 I spent $900 on a new MM Stingray 4-string. Loved the neck but I never really connected with it. A year later I traded it even-up for a '72 P-bass which became my #1 for the next 20 years. Still have it. To quote Wind in His Hair: Good trade.

7. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Bassdirty, Thibby, Adjectives and 4 others like this.
  8. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    $5,400 on the Sadowsky in my avatar. It was delivered in June 2017. The only regret I have is not ordering one sooner.

Danny C, 6tzguy, jimgrinnell and 14 others like this.
  9. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Around $2600 for a Roscoe LG3005 fretless back around 2000 or so. It was my only bass for the next 7 years, and was worth it in my mind. When I moved to Nashville, I started playing P basses a lot, including a fretless P. I didn't like switching back and forth between 34" and 35" scale unlined fretlesses, so I sold the Roscoe at that point.

jamro217 and Passinwind like this.
  10. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

11. xaosbass

xaosbass

Feb 15, 2008
    850.00 for a '79 Jetglo Ric. Was stolen 3 years later.

12. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    3k for fender 51' custom shop relic precision

13. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Around 5 grand for the Skjold bass in my avatar, love that bass, worth it to me! Ive also bought new Ric 4003's- both needed some set ups when brought home- those are worth it too, in spite of quirks.

Adjectives, nateh415 and jamro217 like this.
  14. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    $2500 for an M Bass. The fine "luthier" (I won't mention his name),had it painted the wrong color and worse than that mounted a defective bridge on it so the body had to be retapped for another bridge and it had to be a Fender vintage bent bridge as opposed to the Hipshot I paid for. *I've held onto this story for quite some time but I'm ready to share it.
    And, LISTEN TO THIS! When I brought the bass back because the bridge saddles had to be at an angle for the strings to line up properly, this guy wants to charge me $10 for new strings!
    I was incensed!!
    Wrong paint, defective bridge!
    Finally got it sorted but sold it for an $800 loss because I will NEVER take the stage with an
    M Bass! He was totally unapologetic. I went to him because I live locally but NEVER AGAIN! I could never imagine being treated that way by the better known boutique builders.
    My advice: don't even consider an M Bass. He's all smiles as he takes your money but watch out if there's a problem.
    I should have sued him as he was unwilling to refund nor compensate me for his f*** ups!

boodakon, ELG60, Adjectives and 8 others like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Most expensive? Back in the early 80s I paid a couple of grand plus and traded in a mint condition 1978 Fender PB with case and a Yamaha fretless. Maybe $3500-3600 all in. The Alembic I got for all of that was well worth it.

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A couple of my Warmoth builds (I build all my basses) have run in the $1600 neighborhood. When I've gone in to a music store and played a Fender elite, American Standard, etc....yeah, the builds are totally worth it.

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    $1600 on a Lull P4, about 1 years ago (before he had a real reputation). Totally worth it.

Adjectives and jamro217 like this.
  18. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Townsville
    $3500. It was a dud, and a I took it back as soon as I could. I do not regret this. I regret not getting the original 71 P with the 1 & 9/16" neck in the store down the street. Live and learn.

Adjectives, brian579 and jamro217 like this.
  19. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    That stinks. I visited the shop and was really impressed by everything. I had a build set up but he never seemed interested in actually doing it so in the end I didn't give him any money. Too bad, my boss loved his M Bass.

As for my most expensive... I'm not saying the price but it was a Zon Legacy Elite 519 with some upcharges and it is fantastic. Bit of a wait but apparently I got it before the waits got even worse.

jamro217 and SJan3 like this.
  20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    About $6,500 for an Alembic Series II 5-string back in 2000. That topped the $5,000 I paid for an Alembic Series I earlier that week. Still have both. Very much worth it. The ones on either end in the photo. Sold the one in the middle and still regret that.

F64D8CC0-E959-4580-B874-30CF6E5729B4.jpeg

dSay, kevin wells, burk48237 and 18 others like this.