1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s The Unicorn in Your Bass Collection?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Mar 24, 2020.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    216F5B56-63BD-49FD-94B8-6785FADBE98A.jpeg A7F99BEC-46C4-479F-8925-8AD28028B009.jpeg 397AA6AB-0938-49F3-91C1-301281788A9B.jpeg

My bass collection is kinda standard. An old Precision, 5 string Ibanez, another old Fender fretless, some other 4 strings. You get the idea.

BUT my Unicorn bass in that collection is a 2004 Alembic in superb walnut with fretless ebony neck. The build card even notes Mica picked the wood out. Alembic uses it on their site. It is special and I always feel special myself when I pick it up. A Unicorn in the bunch.

My definition of ‘Unicorn’ is something extra special, beautiful, hard to get for mortals, different than the rest and coveted. Precious. Special!

This is just for fun not a competition so don’t be shy. Maybe you have regular 4 strings and one birds eye maple 5 string. Or 15 boutique basses and one vintage Fender. Whatcha got?

What is your Unicorn bass?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    It's going to be hard to beat THAT one! What a start.

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    "Collection"?
    As in, you have more than one bass?

4. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Well, umm...hard to get, different...yeah, ok. The one on the left...
    two_basses.jpg

Hand built, one off...no other copies out there. Made by a craftsman who usually builds Portuguese style guitars for players of fado music. Designed to the size of an Ernie Ball Earthwood, with classical guitar elements like a slotted head and adjustable saddle. Medium scale. The body is 25 long, 19 wide, and 6 deep. Uses a cello gig bag. Enormous sound. I pictured it hext to a Martin jumbo for scale.

RodRy, Haroldo, brian579 and 32 others like this.
  5. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    my Favorite also!!:):):)
    DSCN1078.JPG

gebass6, mongo2, BassinCT and 52 others like this.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    This fretless Marco Bass. Marco made the pickups specifically for my slide bass application and used an epoxy infusion technique on the fingerboard that I've never seen before. He also did an asymmetric neck profile tailored specifically to my hands, and I did the electronics to a custom spec I don't intend to ever duplicate.

MV4FL.png

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Nice looking instrument.
    Can you explain how a luthier tailors a neck profile to your hands?

jamro217 likes this.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It helped a lot that I get to hang out at Marco's shop quite a bit, as he's only a couple of hours away from me and is an occasional customer of mine. He played my existing basses and we discussed what I like and dislike about each one. And then I have played dozens of his basses, and pointed out the ones that worked best for me. And finally, he put the bass in progress in my hands and asked me what to change. At that point my answer was "don't", which surprised both of us a little. Doesn't hurt that our personal preferences are very similar to begin with! Yel_wink.gif

wraub, JRA, MonetBass and 2 others like this.
  9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    My Zon. Really need to take some new pics. Guanacaste and Bubinga. Looks and sounds amazing.
    I just got back from Costa Rica and saw many large Gaunacaste trees. That was a treat.
    zon_deck6.jpg

gscroggin, gebass6, Bob_Ross and 46 others like this.
  10. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Well, maybe this one, because it's pretty and mostly my custom specs... open case.jpg

steveinohio, B-Lo, RodRy and 54 others like this.
  11. Bill Staudt

Bill Staudt

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
  12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  13. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ

Attached Files:

14. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Lefty Gary, JRA, Ellery and 5 others like this.
  15. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
  16. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    My ‘81 Veillette-Citron. And my Fernandes Gravity 8 bass.
    Both are rare and low production instruments. 75AB75C5-859C-4035-A635-58B05E10D731.jpeg 42A76C2D-23F0-4EEC-AA49-290C501D361D.jpeg

Bob_Ross, Haroldo, JRA and 11 others like this.
  17. BishopHastur

BishopHastur

Jan 20, 2014
    So. Cal.
    I got one for y'all IMG_20200324_134004642.jpg .

TerenceE, JES, byoung93888 and 97 others like this.
  18. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Good thread, some beautiful basses here. Makes me realize that I have some beautiful instruments, but no real unicorn in the group right now.... I enjoy seeing your guys' tho

19. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
  20. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '94 Gretsch G6119B-2.JPG
    My "unicorn" bass? That would have to be this one. A 1994, straight-from-the-Terada-factory, left handed Gretsch Broadkaster. Except for a couple of very old, '50s customs, and a conversion or two, this is the only lefty Gretsch bass I've ever seen. And I've been looking for them a long, long time, too...:whistle:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Lefty Gary, Haroldo, reno88 and 12 others like this.