1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s The Unicorn in Your Bass Collection?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Mar 24, 2020.

1. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    I think the photo itself is awesome

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    My discontinued Fender Jazz 24. They're becoming more rare every day. I got it from the original owner here on TB, and it's a marvelous bass.
    dEsKAU5.jpg IK0Wyss.jpg

rovito, dave64o, Solarmist and 6 others like this.
  3. Symphony2040

Symphony2040 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I always wanted one of those! Still mad that Fender hasn't done something similar in recent years.

4. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I really like this one. What exactly is it?

4stringsjack likes this.
  5. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    WillyWonka likes this.
  6. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Mine is My Carlo.
    NBD: My Carlo. Lakland lines but with a little something extra.
    It's so different without being out-there and such a fantastic combination of almost everything I could want in a bass in terms of the odd neck specs (35" 4 string 1.75 nut, shallow draft) Jatoba and Birdsye combination with Birdseye blocks, etc... Most folks I show it to have never seen anything quite like it.

I suspect that Carl gladly would build another one if requested, but I would never be able to afford to have such an instrument built for me. However, I stumbled across it in his shop at near half price because it was used so it's even more of a unicorn and a "meant-to-be" story for me.
    [​IMG]
    It's also a bit interesting in that he built one or two similar instruments, one of which appeared in Tim Commerford's hands in Bass Player.

My Wendler almost qualifies as well. It's not a must-have instrument for most folks, but there aren't many around and It's a pretty rare bird. NBD: Wendler Electrocoustic (Custom Cedar-Bodied 35" Fretless)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    zbigniew, Mike Whitfield, JRA and 2 others like this.
  7. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Why? are people destroying them?? ;)

MonetBass and ctmullins like this.
  8. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Two Unicorns - one now residing in someone else's stable. The first is a prototype Lakland 34" 5-string fretless. My understanding is that Lakland built 35 34" 5-strings before instead committing to the 35" 55-94 geometry. The original Bartolini was replaced with a Nordstrand MM 5.4, and a prior owner modified the toggle to do single-coil/parallel/series, but the Bartolini was still part of the package when I sold it to a good home. Another neat feature - side lines where frets would lie between the properly-placed side dot markers. Light, playful, responsive, a really fine bass, and I'm pleased to see it land in a good, new home. Selling this reflects my attempting to draw the line against becoming a collector...it was hard to let go.

The fretless inspired the Carl Pedigo build that follows. 34" 5-string, light ash body. Seymour Duncan NYC soaps, John East preamp with master tone control and variable midrange. The 3-way toggles go to coil selection or parallel - I was originally inspired by the series/parallel/single-coil system on Fender's Roscoe Beck line, but Carl convinced me otherwise, and I'm glad he did. Insane birdseye maple neck, and what looks like an East Indian rosewood fingerboard, and 22 vintage frets. I was looking for dark, deep native timbre, and Carl delivered exactly that. I have some other good or fancier basses, but this is the one I most often take to a gig.

O1mSb4iqR66wfRxO5AyA1g.jpg O1mSb4iqR66wfRxO5AyA1g.jpg IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0667.JPG IMG_0669.JPG

9. bigmikebass

bigmikebass Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairview Park , Ohio
    62-1/2?

10. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Ashland, KY
    No idea why the pic posted twice, sorry!

dr doofie likes this.
  11. Kevin Teed

Kevin Teed

Mar 8, 2013
    It's got a Jan '63 body with '62 neck and pots.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've posted this ax all over TB. but it's truly a "unicorn" for me. i don't care for Ps, but i've always wanted a maple neck/fingerboard, so this is what emerged from a glarry + parts. also: the tuning machines may be extra special as no one in their right mind would pay $200 for these carbon fiber pieces...except a unicorn hunter! :laugh: i'm posting the ax with the player for an 'action shot' thing:

0 2.jpg
    0 1.jpg
    front2 small.jpg

13. Kevin Teed

Kevin Teed

Mar 8, 2013
    Because it looks so nice, you gotta post it twice!

14. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I did! I forgot to mention that its a 1984 Wal MKI

LowEndLobster likes this.
  15. bigmikebass

bigmikebass Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairview Park , Ohio
    Thanks!
    I love that description.

Kevin Teed likes this.
  16. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    My unicorn is definitely my one-of-a-kind (literally the only one in existence), handmade Overwater J5 fretless. I'm having the neck refinished on it as we speak, to give it an even more playable feel. Everything about it is amazing.

Although this Bluesman Vintage Deville T2 will probably be another unicorn, when it gets here in a couple of weeks.

Overwater J5 Fretless
    IMG_3311.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    fivestringgecko, MonetBass and JRA like this.
  17. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Kind of a unicorn. Prometeus Majesty. The owner said it was his personal bass and I think it's the only one of it's kind. He makes everything including the pick ups. It sounds kind of like a pissed off Rickenbacker. Very growly! :)

2018-03-04 10.25.07.jpg 2018-03-04 10.25.17.jpg 2018-03-04 10.25.38.jpg

18. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Didn't go through the whole thread but here goes. Unless someone else posted one this is a real Unicorn, rarer than proverbial hens teeth, or, er, Unicorns.:roflmao::laugh::thumbsup:

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
  19. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    There are some exceptionally nice instruments in this thread wow

20. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Hold it right there. A unicorn is a fable animal that does not exist. The word is not open for personal interpretation of what you would like the word to mean.

CaseyVancouver and theduke1 like this.