1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s The Unicorn in Your Bass Collection?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Mar 24, 2020.

1. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Very rare! AFAIK there was only ONE TL-6 made of koa. So this maybe the only one in the world.
    IMG_20190310_114648.jpg

CaseyVancouver and BassikLee like this.
  2. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    Those two without a question:

Hagstrom Coronado: They were produced in moderate numbers; 1157 basses in total, in seven batches between 1963 and 1970. The one on the left is from the first batch

Guild Jetstar: That one is a unicorn. Probably only a handful ever made in 1964-65 with those specs. I simply won't find another one

1stprod.jpg

3. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    It's a Read Custom neck through.

BassmanM likes this.
  4. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    20200320_171248.jpg
    My 2001 Steve Harris signature. Only 750 made.

byoung93888, ELG60, osv and 4 others like this.
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Alas, no. It's a Fender '73 fretless neck on a custom Mattia Franchin gold foil body.;)

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    P1010852.JPG
    Aria RSB516. 4 ply scratch plate for the ramp effect, the new bridge worked out wider than the last, 19mm gap completely string surface to surface. For someone with fingers as long as mine, that is very sweet indeed. Hardware, pickups, plate, wiring and some other bits added. The bass cost me the equivalent of $220 when I bought it, I like it a lot.

dave64o, Mike Whitfield, JIO and 5 others like this.
  7. Hey Bunk

They must have made a few. Here is the JB62-M I got out of Japan in medium scale:

Fender-Jazz-Red.png

Robbed the neck off of it, trimmed the headstock and turned it into this medium scaler:

51.png

So you know, I have seen about a half dozen maple boards out of Fender Japan in medium scale, but you are right - they are extremely rare.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  8. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Nice refinish! :thumbsup:

PS: I'm sort of relieved to be wrong, actually. I'd have moments of "Should I really be taking this out to dive bars?" Etc. Of course, I'd usually take it anyway.:D

Mike Whitfield and BassHappy like this.
  9. It's a beautiful bass for sure, here are a couple of shots of the one I bought - photos from the seller in Japan:

graduatejp2000-img600x450-1235817153mr6pem44506.jpg

graduatejp2000-img600x450-1235817153vhuk7q44506.jpg

I got lucky, because the builder who made the P body for me, wanted the fully loaded jazz body, and he gave me a substantial credit for keeping it. I made out very well on the purchase in the end.

If you want to know if it was a custom order, it will be stamped inside the neck pocket as "Order Made" which was Japan speak for a custom order.

Here is what that looks like from one of my other medium scale Fenders:

182029945_624.v1374772878.jpg

10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I can't disagree. I am grateful to have owned two. One was a burnt orange years ago, I wisely sold to pay off a student loan. I happened across this DD2 while I had some disposable funds and was looking for a reflex or big Al. A nice fella on the ebmm forums listed it, say for a while. I PayPal'd him and he sent it, mint, couldn't be happier. I don't see this one going anywhere. As you say, the tones are near impossible to beat. Plus the green looks real nice.

beatdatthang and 40Hz like this.
  11. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Mike Whitfield and JRA like this.
  12. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    She’s rare, this one...

Attached Files:

LowEndLobster likes this.
  13. Mary Kay MK.JPG

osv and MonetBass like this.
  14. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    ‘99 Reverend Rumblefish 5L only 289 made
    CBFAF2B5-85BB-443C-9F57-225D487D3A9D.jpeg

15. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    Gives me twice as much to look at
    Those inlays are amazing

16. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I generally like "Plain Jane" basses and these fit that category but are rare in that very few were made.

1990 Yamaha Attitude Custom
    This bass was one of three bass models Yamaha came up with for Billy Sheehan to promote as his Attitude Basses.
    The Attitude Custom has a Dimarzio X2N-B pickup that you don't see under the pickguard at the heel of the neck, it also has piezo pickups in the bridge saddles.
    A year or two later Billy and Yamaha agreed on specifics for his Attitude Ltd I Bass and signed their deal.
    The Custom model disappeared, so there are very few of them ..and this color was the least common.
    DSCN2195.jpg DSCN2197.jpg DSCN2194.jpg

My other uncommon bass is this 1985 Guild Pilot.
    Guild Pilots are normally PJ's, they offered the P only version but all the music stores ordered PJ.
    They ended up making around 50 total with just the P pickup.
    Most Pilots also have the reversed P layout, this is standard.
    Also, very few Guild Pilots have maple fretboards.
    So this one seems very uncommon, I've seen no others.
    Still a plain Jane, just a rare one. :)
    DSCN1528.jpg DSCN1534.jpg

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

18. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Looks lovely! Can you post a closer up picture of the thumb rest and it's attachment. Really graceful.

19. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia