1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s The Unicorn in Your Bass Collection?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    That is a seriously cool Alembic! :thumbsup:

2. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    No, you’re not the only one. It’s actually a bit overwhelming.

CaseyVancouver and Passinwind like this.
  3. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    please don't make me choose between these two

zahns.jpg

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it's a ramp which serves as a thumb rest --- attached at two pickguard screw locations --- i'll try to get a close-up pic.

5. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yup, brown trout.

Cutter8 likes this.
  6. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Bro, I only heard they made like two Talmans that actually fart rainbows.... True unobtanium.

Mike Whitfield and dr doofie like this.
  7. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    MAJOR METAL likes this.
  8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That would be great if you could. I'm thinking I need to make something like that for myself...

9. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    My Unicorn is an actual Unicorn of sorts! I own a Fender Precision Bass Plus! Aka,"Boner bass"If thats not a unicorn
    [​IMG] .
    I bought it on ebay years ago, I had to get it repainted, the original owner left it in rough condition, a lot of chips & scratches.was dirty gray, now Beautiful Lake placid Blue! yeah, I was a little self conscious of plying A "boner",but the guy who painted was a great tech & fixed the electronics up, Plays & sounds wonderful got a Blackpickguard from PG heaven.looks awesome!( sorry no pics, Photograher GF is too busy!:( especially now w/CV-19 almost impossible to schedule a shoot!).
    It's funny I thought the "boner" is a little provactive, but I was actually shopping for a Warwick fortress bass, HAH! now that's a phallic looking bass!

10. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Perhaps I should have said "harder to find". I just looked on eBay and Reverb, and found a total of three for sale. ;)

Sixgunn likes this.
  11. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    I have two similar unicorns... EBMM Bongo 4HS Dargie Delight II, and an EBMM Bongo 4HH in Starry Night. The Starry Night has the roasted/unpainted neck.

Bongos.jpg

Dargie Delight II.jpg

Starry Night.jpg

12. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    The legends whispered about are true... there is a second... I’ve heard talk of a Unicorn Talman spotted in Drusselstien...
    My quest is to capture her and mate her with my lefty ignoble steed, therefore restoring the lineage...

13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I have many one-off basses that I have made but as I sell some of them I can only post pics of them if requested. But this is one of my own that I made years ago based on the Fender Performer, which being only made for one year is a sort of unicorn.

DBF4E732-D36A-4FA7-B2F8-DAB505A012B4_1_201_a.jpeg

14. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    You fool! Don't you know what happens if they touch strings!? One cannot wield two of these at once! It is... forbidden.

15. Scootbass1

Scootbass1 Gold Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Chillicothe, Illinois
    Nice bass, I have one in factory finish matte black. I will try to get a picture up after I get off work.

MonetBass likes this.
  16. KimDealWithIt

KimDealWithIt

Sep 8, 2019
    Love that headstock, sort of reminds me of Entwistle’s Status Buzzard.

JIO likes this.
  17. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Very cool Unicorn JIO. I always loved the original Performer too!

JIO likes this.
  18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The original Performer hs was spear-shaped so I designed mine to more reflect the bodies curves. Exquisite Firemist Gold finish by Pat Wilkins/SoCal.

A661AD42-33EF-4199-A49E-2F8AE37C0DEC_1_201_a.jpeg
    F2442FC2-B6E8-4BA2-9E57-A53176A54DEA_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  19. Bill Staudt

Bill Staudt

Jun 18, 2002
    I'll throw this one in too. Transition era Kay-Engelhardt. It has a 1969 Kay inventory stamp, and a 1971 Engelhardt s/n. It's either one of the last Kay basses, or one of the first Engelhardts. It has also spent the last 50 years bouncing around in the back of a pickup on its way to every dive bar in TN.
    IMG_3699.JPG

20. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    Forbidden to everyone but he who holds the knowledge of the Southpaw Technique... it renders the strings' power useless, cancelling each other out due to the string gauge alliance...

Mike Whitfield and LowEndLobster like this.