1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s up with Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Plumb, Dec 3, 2020.

1. John Plumb

John Plumb

Feb 23, 2019
    Harlow, UK
    OK a bit of background before i get to the problem, back in the 80’s i had a really great American fender P bass, cherry red, with maple fret board & neck with a ash inlay in the neck just a stranded bass BUT i like a mug lent it to a friend who sold it*, i never had a chance to get another one until now as i am 60 next year (something me and my better half never thought i would make due to illness) and my better half wanted me to get another P bass and here is the problem!

I just wanted to get an American P bass in red with a maple neck and fret board with a ash inlay on the neck with a case.
    Thinking that this is just a matter of looking online or shop web site but NO!!! The range of P basses seems to be very limited at the moment, what has happened to fender? I know that it has been like 40 years but i really thought that they would have gone from strength to strength, the only way to get a red P bass seems to be an Mexican one and buy the case on its own, can anyone tell me what happen to them?

* Police said it was a civil matter as he said that i gave it too him??? like i am going to give away an American P bass

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Did Fender used to offer more color combinations than they do now? I don’t think they did but I could be wrong.

deff and Obese Chess like this.
  3. John Plumb

John Plumb

Feb 23, 2019
    Harlow, UK
    yes (if i can remember that is LOL) they had a few different colours just can't get the red on any more :(

4. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    I feel like they've never had a ton of color options, they just change it up once in a while with an additional limited color or two, usually in a new model, rather than in their standard lines.

They also discontinue colors and the 80s was long ago.

DJ Bebop and John Plumb like this.
  5. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I've been in this biz a long time but never heard of an "ash inlay" on any Fender P-Bass neck. Are you, by any chance, referring to the walnut skunk stripe on the back of the neck?

If you've got your heart set on a new red P-Bass with a maple board and skunk stripe, I would take a serious look at Fender's Vintera Series '50s Precision. You can get it in Dakota red and it pretty much ticks all your boxes. It's made in Mexico but honestly, the older Classic series basses and their successors, the Vintera series P-Basses are, IMO, better basses than the American P-Basses from the '70s and '80s. Don't get hung up on the "if it's not made in the USA, it's crap" bullpoopie. Play one for yourself. If you like its feel and sound that's all that matters. A good instrument is a good instrument. At what geographical coordinates on this planet the pieces of wood were crafted and assembled is completely irrelevant. Good craftsmanship knows no political borders.

The Vintera '50s P comes in red, has the maple board you want and sounds like a Precision. I recommend you check one out.

radapaw, andare, Yonni and 32 others like this.
  6. John Plumb

John Plumb

Feb 23, 2019
    Harlow, UK
    Yes i was talking about the walnut stripe (just goes to show what i know :( )
    I was looking at the Fender's Vintera Series '50s Precision but for some reason shops don't have any at the moment (just hoping that they have them in stock in the new year)
    many thanks for all the answer's, it is a shame that they don't make more variety but i guess that's down to the production costs.
    Are the Mexican basses as good as the American ones as i just get some many different stories about the builds/parts

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Tim Skinner

Tim Skinner

Nov 6, 2018
    I have a Mexican PBass Noir and I love it. A quality instrument by every standard.

8. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    You could always build one on Fender.com in the mod shop. That way you can get exactly what you want.

Correlli, pcake, HardNHeavy and 33 others like this.
  9. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I wonder if the Fender Custom Shop is available in the UK? That could be a, possibly expensive, solution.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. John Plumb

John Plumb

Feb 23, 2019
    Harlow, UK
    don't think that it is available but will look into this thank you

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    Mexican-made Fenders these days are of very high quality. Somewhere around 2008 Fender stepped up their quality remarkably. I have a 2012 MIM Jazz and it's a great bass, very playable and easily my most reliable instrument.

12. You can definitely order CS in the UK.

13. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

IMO there is a quality difference between US made Fenders and MIM, even the Vintera series compared to the Performer series (least expensive US-made current models.) While the MIM are certainly great instruments and worth owning, the craftsmanship, materials, hardware and electronics in the US made models are a cut-above. Still, I would take KBD’s recommendation and go for the Vintera if you want a red P-bass. It will be as nice as any ‘70s or ‘80s US model and probably exactly what you’re looking for. You may want to budget for a luthier to set it up, and a case or better gig bag than it comes with (the Performers also come with low-end bags.)

14. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Lucky you, it's only available through a brick and mortar retailer in Canada. I cannot design a bass off the Fender website and order it. Fender is one of the few retailers that is shutting Canadians down.

I am thinking that we should retaliate with a maple syrup embargo. This is outrageous! :smug:

15. Oh I don't know about direct from Fender, I haven't lived in the UK for 11 years. But you can order through a retailer for sure

Dynacord likes this.
  16. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Screenshot_20201203-150933_Chrome.jpg

pcake, Mastermold, petch and 9 others like this.
  17. John Plumb

John Plumb

Feb 23, 2019
    Harlow, UK
    DJ Bebop and PennyroyalWe like this.
  18. PBassin

PBassin Bass Initiate

Jan 13, 2016
    There’s more than a few of the Fender Vintera Precision basses in Dakota Red available brand new on Reverb.

mikewalker, DJ Bebop and John Plumb like this.
  19. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Do give the UK fender website time to load up, at first it will seem to be giving you not much, and then when you're making your choices again give the site time to respond to your clicks.

Precision Bass | Mod Shop

And have fun with that configurator!

Doug4321, PennyroyalWe and John Plumb like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021