1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s worse than wearing shorts? How about no shoes.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by J Mon, Jul 22, 2019.

1. J Mon

J Mon

Dec 4, 2018
    I went to a show at a local bar last weekend. The bassist in a classic rock cover band was wearing shorts. This doesn’t bother me that much but I soon notice he decided to go shoeless as well. One of the guitarists is also shoeless. I have to admit I’m sorta creeped out by it.
    Then Sunday night I went to a concert at a large outdoor amphitheater. It was Train and the Goo Goo dolls. It was the wife’s idea but I was actually impressed by both bands. So the Dolls are up first and I notice the bassist has, you guessed it, shorts and no shoes. Is this a new trend? Are all the cool bassists doing it? Discuss.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  3. I once played shoe-less at rehearsal (it was a hot summer night). That's when I really started to appreciate the Boss pedal design.

4. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    See the surface of one stage in one bar with all the lights on, and you'll never even contemplate stepping up there barefoot.

filmtex, neuman, wraub and 38 others like this.
  5. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I admit I used to gig barefoot. I came up through the jam band scene. So being barefoot was not really weird. Rarely, rarely did shorts though. I always brought a large area rug with me and just pretty much stayed on it. I was more comfortable. In the winter, I would just wear socks. On "bigger" stages or corporate gigs, I would most certainly wear shoes. I won't gig barefoot now, no longer have the pretty toes HA.

HolmeBass and Jacob Stanton like this.
  6. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    bad electrical wiring.. no shoes.. nahh I'll keep em on. Specially when also singing.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Playing barefoot can be dangerous.

DrayMiles, dkelley and MynameisMe like this.
  8. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I prefer to be barefoot as much as possible, but shoes help when gigging.

9. I might be wrong but I believe the bassist for the Goo Goo Dolls has always played barefoot.

This is from '99, was a big fan of them back in the day.
    [​IMG]

smogg and Jimmy4string like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. As long as you don't mind walking around in decades worth of sticky old beer spills, spit valve droppings from horns, and possibly puke, go for it.

11. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Dean Ween and his bassist were both unshod when I saw the Dean Ween group supporting Primus last year. Didn't stop them from playing a killer set.

12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    How about sandals and black socks ... somebody shoot me ;)
    then (1).

13. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Carl Perkins never sang about how cool bare feet are.

14. pawnshopbill

pawnshopbill

Jun 20, 2015
    Florida
    Are you from Florida? There seems to be a lot of guys in my town that always make a point to not wear shoes. sure, there are lots of beach gigs but some of these dive bars I would be worried about stepping on a needle during load in.

DrayMiles, kesslari and Duder like this.
  15. Never a fan of the Googs but I know they've done the barefoot thing forever.

I don't care one way or t'other, but I wouldn't b/c my feets are ugly and stinky.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  16. We had a fill in guitar player this week at our gig (Party rock band playing an Irish Bar). The fill in texted me that morning saying "So, is this like a shorts and tshirt place". I visibly cringed and texted back "No shorts... ever".

My old singer used to do gigs barefoot, but he would bring his own rug to put down. We would get the sound system all set up and wires run, then the rug would go down covering all the cables. It was actually brilliant.

filmtex, HolmeBass and venturawest like this.
  17. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    My thing is that I always wear a hat... we had a photo op and "the band" sent out an email "no hats". My reply. A pic of Bruno Mars, Slash, Leon Russell and lastly, our lead female vocals feet. She never wears shoes on stage. No text was in my response.

They were ok with my hat.... and I'll always be ok with her feet.

18. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Lots of drummers don't wear shoes.

oZZma and Winslow like this.
  19. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yup, last time I saw him he was also barefoot. Left very impressed with him and the GGDs in general despite the lack of footwear. :laugh:

That was back in like 2002, so definitely not new... at least not for him.

20. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Back in the '70s Steve Howe would occasionally perform unshod.

No Malarky likes this.