1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What’s your favorite effects pedal right now?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazzcaster89, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ive got an itch to try a new pedal. What’s your favorite at the moment? And what do you use it for? Thanks!

niel80 likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

alpha-omega_copy.

Best pedal Darkglass has done, and the Alpha Omicron is right there with it just without bells and whistles. I actually use it for a low gain punch which is totally not what I bought it for! But I'm blown away by this baby.

3. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Mine usually is the latest one I buy which lately is up in the air between the tc Vortex Mini with the "Sweet Minger" toneprint and the tc HOF 2 with the "Spare Room", "Beaty Hall", or "Beyond the Stars" toneprints.

C/S,
    Rev J

BrentSimons and Jazzcaster89 like this.
  4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    It is hard to choose. My pedalboard is the one big pedal!

5. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    Dunwich Volt Thrower for nasty distortion...also sounds great at low gain. Tremendous pedal.

blindrabbit and saltydude like this.
  6. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    My most recent purchase is the TC Electronic Vortex, great Flanger. Heaps of control. Tone Print. Gets some really cool out there sounds.
    But the SmallSound/BigSound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine has been my favourite since I got it a few years ago (sounds amazing with the Vortex too)

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Perrygoround

Perrygoround

Jun 27, 2016
    I started using the TC SpectraComp and discovered that a compressor, even on its lower setting -which is how I use it-, does some nice fattening to the tone.
    I also use a chorus -corona mini- on some songs. Octave down very scarcely -EHX Pitchfork, I use with the latch setting, so I don't have to press it down again to dissengage it, only release my foot-. And some distortion/fuzz on a couple of songs, specially when its only drum and bass.
    I have other pedals which I like a lot how they sound -for example The 3Leaf Proton 3, really sweet envelope-, but in this moment I can not find a use for them when playing with my bands.

armybass, BrentSimons and Wfrance3 like this.
  8. I've recently bought the Aguilar Fuzzistor and the TC electronic Corona Chorus. My favourite right now...the latter. I have to admit that I really never liked the chorus effect. Maybe because of the music I like. So I bought it just as an experiment. And then I realised that it is in a lot of songs that I listen to. I'm still experimenting but, the way I use it now, is to smooth some of my bass attack in parts of the songs. It is not really noticeable in the mix, but you can tell the difference when I turn it on/off. So I pick the chorus as my favourite for now

This is true for me as well haha. Even though I also have the EHX Freeze, which is also really fun to play with

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  9. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    right now: that tiny EHX Green Russian Muff ...

10. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Between the Moogerfoogers, the Meris Mercury 7, and the FC Shallow Water, it's really hard to say. I use them all.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    blindrabbit and gregmon79 like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ordering one straight from the man himself today! Emailed him and got word back about what colors he has right now. (I know it's superficial but I really didn't want a pink or mint green one. :wacky: )

Now clear or dark green....... decisions decisions......:help:

12. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Not so much one pedal, but I've been having a great time exploring the octave/fuzz/filter combo and applying the sounds to my band's material. I like the IE SubT->Oxide->XeroD and T-16->You're Doom->Wonderlove combos equally, so I've made room on my board for both.

13. A tuner is the only pedal you need. But that's not fun at all.

virgindog likes this.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Darkglass B7K became my favorite pedal for hard rock overdrive tone when I got it a few years ago, and it's still #1 for that. I now use the B7K Ultra, which has a more versatile EQ, but it has the basic B7K flavor that I love. Yes, the B7K has a strong tonal coloration to it: a notch in the mids, and it leans bright, but the ability to dial in aggressive sizzle is why I love it for rock. I also love to stack pedals into it: I set the B7K to fairly low gain overdrive, and leave it on when I kick in other pedals set for heavier crunch. The B7K is always last in the chain as the finishing touch.

I have other pedals that I use for more transparent overdrive. I'll list the Reiner Gasoline and Damnation Audio MBD-1 first because they are excellent pedals, and second because the designers/builders live relatively close to me in Maryland. :)

P.S. The only effect I use is overdrive/distortion. I own a pair of nice compressor pedals (Empress and Cali76), but I don't often use compression, and when I do I don't use it as an effect.

15. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Massachusetts
    FEA Labs Opti-FET. The 3 band EQ on the side chain circuit is pure magic and the internal dip switches give you just enough tone mojo without too much coloration.

Mikey F and blindrabbit like this.
  16. bass40hz

bass40hz Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    FEA DE-CL, always on, always right-on!

17. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    this thing:
    moog-minifooger-chorus.

18. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass

Jan 19, 2015
    Ontario
    I just got a new p bass with flats, so I am really digging the OC-2 again.

BrentSimons, RRR and Low84 like this.
  19. The NEXT one.

Always the next one.

Uses of the next one vary.

20. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    Old reliable: Fuzzrocious cat tail
    Newist one: keeley cavrens
    Do to arrive today with great hopes: darkglass duality

gregmon79 likes this.