1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s your favorite G&L?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jackcrow, Dec 9, 2019.

G&L

1. L-1000

40 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. L-1500

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. L-2000

85 vote(s)
    32.6%
  4. Kiloton

22 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. SB-1

12 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. SB-2

28 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. Climax

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  8. ASAT

14 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. LB-100

12 vote(s)
    4.6%
  10. JB

14 vote(s)
    5.4%
  11. M-2000

7 vote(s)
    2.7%
  12. Other

20 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    ND
    I’m really looking to get another G&L. I was pretty set on an L-2000 but I have a bit before I’m going to buy so I thought I would get some opinions. I have previously owned an LB-100 and an L-1500. I would prefer one with the MFD pickups. Tell me which one you like best.

2. Anything with MFD pickups, but especially the L-2000.
    No MFD pickups = No Sale

3. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    I have to agree. The MFD defines the G&L sound. There’s a sweet spot in my heart for the L1000. That’s why I bought a CLF edition when they were reissued. I also own an L2000 Tribute but know that while it’s a wonderful bass for the money, it’s only a stop gap until I pick up a CLF L2000 sometime next year.

So, my recommendation would be either an L1000 or an L2000. Spend some time, do some research and you might even be able to get both used for the price of a single new one! As ridiculous as it may seem, G&L Basses have horrible resale values. You can easily find a 30 year old G&L for well under $1k. If it was a Fender it would be at least twice as much. Like I said, ridiculous.

4. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Exactly this.

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    ASAT 02.JPG ASAT Head 1.JPG Didn't vote; no Carrot option, so...:rolleyes: And, to tell the truth, I wasn't really looking to buy a G&L bass when I got this one. So, I couldn't cast an honest vote, anyway... I moved my one active bass (an Alembic Epic) out of the "Active" spot in my herd, over to the long unfilled "Long Scale Set Neck" spot (because that's also what it is). So, although I don't really like active basses all that much, I needed another one. I didn't really care what kind it was. It just had to be a left handed, 4-string, 34" scale, active bass. I was actually leaning toward a Schecter Riot 4 when this one turned up on eBay 2 weeks ago. It's a 2015 Custom Shop Tom Hamilton Signature ASAT. I guess that was the only way for the original owner to get a left-handed one... Since I'm a sucker for anything blue, and the price was less than the Schecter, I bought it. It's a little gaudy for my taste; but it plays and sounds great. And, I'll admit that I do love the neck. It is surprisingly heavy, considering the little body, and it's also a bit of a neck diver. But, compared to my Kramer Lumie? Not a problem... However, I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another one. There's just no spot left in my herd for another G&L bass to fill. But, I certainly don't regret buying this one instead of the Schecter...:cool:

Spidey2112, RiffwRiter and MynameisMe like this.
  6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    My favourite is El Toro which is a spectacular bass IMO but a little difficult to come by nowadays.

7. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I voted L2000. I own two Tributes, L2500 and M2500. The L it is basically a passive bass with active circuit for use when needed; I like the safety net of not worrying about battery failure. The M2500 is only active. Curiously, when I play the M2500 someone almost always walks up and compliments on how good it sounds. Hmmm

wsclesky and Jackcrow like this.
  8. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    I voted L2000. Not because I own one. It's because I want one.
    Everyone talks about how great they are. I just want to play one and find out for myself.

XtraFancy, Spidey2112 and TheReceder like this.
  9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

My Favorite is MY L2500, but I voted for a Kiloton because I have GAS for one.

ydl1yugyesx7bmpnuqhz.jpg

woodyng2, Edgetone, TinIndian and 7 others like this.
  10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    After a set playing my USA M-2500, the bassist in the next band said, "Man, what is that? I have to get one of those basses!" Only time that's ever happened. It is a truly amazing instrument, and I can't recommend it highly enough--even though I normally dislike active electronics.

So I'd say either L-2000/2500 or M-2000/2500. There is lots of tonal overlap between the two, but each does stuff the other can't. The L-series pickups are slightly hotter (M-series underwound by 12% relative to L-series), and you get passive operation and series/parallel switching (and single coil option available by order). With the M, you get the active EQ and, significantly IMO, pickup blending as opposed to the three-way selector on the L-series. This provides a huge sonic range at your fingertips. I don't care much about this in rock bands, where I tend to "set and forget," but it's essential in some situations, like musical theater shows.

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    20190804-095756.jpg
    Not to mention it weighs 7.3 lbs!

12. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    I love my SB1.
    I love my LB100.
    I really want to try a Kiloton.

Trabeen, Clutchcargo and Jackcrow like this.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I voted ASAT since I had one, but you can also throw in the L-2000 since they're identical in many ways. I do like the new retro-styled L2000 that are out with the control plates.
    Great basses; sound huge and are very well made.

Krizz and Jackcrow like this.
  14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I just reviewed the results of your poll. Nobody wants to have a Climax? I find that disturbing.

15. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    If the Climax had its pickup in the L-1000 position, I'd definitely choose it. I love the small neck and light weight.

16. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Wow... interesting bass... never seen it before on this site. :smug:

CGramazio likes this.
  17. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Why I sold my L-2000 is one of life's mysteries, right up there with what happened to Jimmy Hoffa, who shot JFK and why are the Star Wars movies over the last 20 years so lame?

I have no rational answers on any of those. :roflmao:

XtraFancy, Spidey2112 and 74hc like this.
  18. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I put Kiloton on there, as it's a beast. I like it a lot.

Honorable mention to the M-2000. I'm borrowing one of those right now, and I think it's a sleeper. It's got a smoother sound to it, more reminiscent of a Ken Smith. Tons of tonal options with the MFDs and active pre.

Root 5, Jackcrow and Trabeen like this.
  19. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Kiloton. These things have more soul than most people that I know, myself included.

3928B845-CA06-4546-A5E2-66EC332B70E8.jpeg

20. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I have a first and a second generation SB-2, and an L-2000. Used to have an El Toro and an L-1000.

Obviously I love G&Ls, but my favorite has always been the original SB-2. There's a certain inexplicable perfection about it. That and my Lakland 4-94 are all I really need!