1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s Your Go To Non Class D Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Aug 9, 2020.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I’m an older guy and grew up playing tubes and Solid State gear.
    I always had great results with these heads. Not too much tweaking...Most tone controls between 11 / 1 o’clock

I have experienced some of the Class D gear on the market and as great as it is...it’s so different sounding from the older stuff. I always feel like there’s something missing. And I have to really mess with the tone controls to get me where I need to go.

What modern non Class D heads are you all using these days ?

Thanks.

Type-55, SactoBass, kazuhank and 4 others like this.
  2. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    I have 3 solid state amp heads that all get some degree of use:
    -Ampeg Micro VR: this is the newest of the bunch (mine is a 2009 but they’re still in production I think) but probably sounds the oldest. Simple 3 band eq, gain, and volume. It’s not crazy high wattage but if you give it enough speakers it’ll give you the goods. Sounds way closer to an old SVT than it has any right to. ~9lb
    - Mesa Walkabout (discontinued for the past 5 years or so but still available). A conservatively rated 300W hybrid that will also give you silly volume if you give it enough come area. Crazy flexible 3-band parametric EQ as well as “regular” bass/mid/treble controls. It’s also got a crazy wide low end if you’re into that. ~15lb
    - GK 800RB. I guess this one is vintage now, so never mind. ~23lb

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I also have a Walkabout. One of my all time favorites. I sold off an 800RB several years ago.

jazzyvee, Timmah and WillyWonka like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Walkabout and an SVT-CL.

That being said, the new Mesa TT has my attention. I think Andy ( @agedhorse ) may have cracked the code when it comes to rich, bloomy tone from new tech. Reviews from owners of both the Walkabout and the WD800 (its "Class D" cousin) swear the differences are subtle if you trying/EQing for a Walkabout tone.

Embrace the new. I love an old tube and/or MOSFET head. But I'm excited about the new stuff too.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Class D are my favorite solid state heads :)

6. GK 800RB. Always sounds good.

For class d I have an EBS Reidmar 750. Great amp, but it doesn’t sound as good as the 800RB.

7. GK-700RB-II or an Orange AD200B.

I also have a GK2001RB but if I’m gonna schlep that much weight I’ll take the Orange :D

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Ampeg SVT-VR and Aguilar DB751

tzohn, SactoBass, kazuhank and 4 others like this.
  9. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    It was mesa Boogie M9, such a great amp!!

10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I own three amps. One of them is a Class D, an Acoustic Image Focus 1. The other two are a rack system with an Alembic F1-X preamp and a Crown CE1000 power amp, and a Polytone MiniBrute III combo.

But when I'm using provided backline and I actually get a choice of amps as part of the rider, I always ask for an SVT.

57pbass likes this.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    My last tube head was a Mesa 400+. That was more than 20 years ago. I don't miss tubes.

SS amps sound good to me. I used an Ampeg SVT3 PRO from 1999 to 2007 and a series of Thunderfunks from 2007 to now.

I have always managed to get a great sound out of D Class amps. I think they are a significant step forward for bass players. My Aguilar TH500 and AG700 have been my go to for more than 5 years.

IMO too many people overthink gear. We need to make sure we don't sound bad. The other 99% depends on the notes we play.

12. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    A GK 1001RB and Eden Traveler 550 which both sound great.

I recently tried a Peavey Headliner 1000 which is class D and it sounded pretty good.

13. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I love my Class D heads, especially the Mesa TT800 and Orange Terror Bass. But if I am taking out a non Class D it will be the Orange 4 Stroke or GK 700rb II. But I have to say those 2 Class D heads are much nicer.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hartke LH1000 & Traynor YBA-300.

Gary Warner and ArtechnikA like this.
  15. grinx

grinx Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    GK 400RB-III (as a power amp only to boost an Alembic F1-X)

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I'm an older guy and loved my Hartke LH500 class A/B head and was a skeptic about Class D until I found this. Mesa WD800 paired with two Hartke 1x12's.
    20190824_190856.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    dbsfgyd1, Rice, Admiral Akbar and 8 others like this.
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Havern't owned any for a few years, but hope springs eternal, so I'm building both a new tube amp and a new Class D one at the moment. I'm coming from a place of never really loving any old stuff or most new stuff all that much though, in all honesty. Plenty of decent tools for actual gigging have always existed then and now, but gigging is no longer my thing, so I'll unapologetically go after holy grail bedroomn tone now. May your illusions be as pleasant...;)

18. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Don't carry it much these days, especially since I got my Berg B|Amp, but here it is:
    upload_2020-8-10_8-40-51.png

Demeter HBP1 Tube Preamp with a Crown XLS 1500....... It is a smoking rig.

The Demeter is known as one of the best Bass Tube Preamps on the market and has had that spot for a couple of decades or more.
    hbp1large-999x999.jpg

19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    These are my only non Class D amp setups. And, they unfortunately see rare stage time these days.
    012611A0-53DA-44D6-876E-CE9102FC903D.jpeg
    F642C8A9-0323-4FD2-B382-C6BF18F44429.jpeg

My other comment is that the main reason the racks are sticking around my house is that the rack PREAMPS are still superior to the preamp in any self contained amp of whatever configuration for my purposes to this point. In fact, I also have a couple of the Demeter Minnie 800D power modules; and the rack preamps are more likely to go out on the gig with one of those, because the sound is essentially indistinguishable from the PLX1804.

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Make sure your bedroom is up to snuff.

wave rider, DJ Bebop and Passinwind like this.