1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What’s your opinion on this pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JavierV, Dec 8, 2018.

1. JavierV

JavierV

Dec 8, 2018
    6C71F517-7E52-4D90-9D4F-867D7A32DDC2.jpeg

2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Needs more wires.

3. JavierV

JavierV

Dec 8, 2018
    Hi Bud, just trying to put something together for my son’s gig.

saltydude likes this.
  4. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    My opinion is that there are good to great pedals on there that should be an amazing addition to your sons gig. I mean, what else is there to say?

5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

What kind of gig? Do you already own these pedals or are you about to spend some cash?

For a filter, I'd personally take the Enigma Q-Balls over the Q-Tron+, but that's just my opinion. They're the same brand and footprint, but the Enigma is easier to power, and I think the feature set is more bass-friendly.

The Pedal Power can be bottom-mounted to the board, allowing you more room on top (or a smaller board).

I love the Polytune. It's got a small footprint, and yet the readout is still nice and clear from a distance, and it's very accurate and stable too.

ppiluk, JavierV and Blaargh like this.
  6. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    A few of my thoughts. Not criticisms, just things you might want to look into:

- Unless you really need that buffered bypass, you could probably pick up a cheap Polytune 2 Mini used, and it'd save you some money and space on the board. And if your son digs black, you can pick up the Polytune 2 Mini Noir.

- I'd 100% pick up the Hyper Luminal instead of the Super Symmetry unless cash is a big issue and you're getting some kind of a deal. The Hyper Luminal is much smaller and much more versatile, actually containing the Super Symmetry side-chain in it, as well as the option for the 1176 or serial bus style compression tones.

- I'd also recommend mounting that power supply underneath the board, if at all possible. If it doesn't fit, one PS in the same price range that just came out is the CIOKS DC7, which is pretty sweet. Versatile, small, and fits under even the Pedaltrain Nanos.

- If that micro amp is for a boost, you might at least want to think about the TC Electronic Spark. I don't use a boost or a light overdrive, but people seem to really love it.

- Not sure what your signal chain is looking like, but I'd put the Darkglass last, that way if your son ever wants to record at home or go direct on a gig, he can use the cab sims and XLR out on that and still have access to everything else. Not sure if that preamp was selected on a whim or because you/he loves that one, but the B3K is a favorite, and the X7 that just came out is really, really amazing. Doesn't have an ultra version so you'd lose the cab sims, but this thing does something that's quite rare, and it does it really, really well. If you're just looking for a distortion to click on, the Damnation MDB-1 is also a huge favorite around here. I picked one up recently and love the hell out of it already.

- The Q-Tron is a classic, but I'd at least check out the new 3Leaf Audio Chromatron too. That guy knows his envelope filters, and he's been working on this one for quite a while. I think it's meant to be comparable to the Q-Tron as well, but don't hold me to that. Tons of flexibility there. But you also might be able to leverage the release of that one to pick up the older Wonderlove 2 in the Classifieds. That thing is awesome!

Good luck, you're a great friggin' dad!

JavierV, FullTime Tim and jazznrick like this.
  7. For me, the three most important effects (aside from the tuner), would be the Boost, Preamp/OD, and the Compressor. those three pedals form the core of my sound. Couple of ways you can use them.

Compressor > Preamp/OD > Boost

Boost > Preamp/OD > Compressor

JavierV likes this.
  8. JavierV

JavierV

Dec 8, 2018
    Thanks everyone for your comments. We already own the Q Tron, B:assmaster, MXR Micro Amp and the Polytune. We are thinking to add the others soon. My son loves to play Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs, he loves funk but also play rock, and jazz. We started following Flea’s pedalboard.

9. JavierV

JavierV

Dec 8, 2018
    Tony thanks for your comments. We already own the Q Tron, B:assmaster, MXR Micro Amp and the Polytune, but definitely we are going to research your suggestions.

10. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH

:D :D :D
    Good luck, have fun!

JavierV likes this.
  11. JavierV

JavierV

Dec 8, 2018
    1D0592C2-F7DE-407C-90DC-C96B252ADE1F.jpeg Approaching the final setup...

cataract and TonyRo like this.
  12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Shouldn't your son be doing that?

13. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    @JavierV - very cool of you to help your son get his tones dialed in!

With the Bassmaster, Micro Amp and Q-tron plus, you're well on your way to replicating Flea's pedalboard.

Flea doesn't use a compressor in his pedal chain with RHCP - so you may not really need one unless you want it for other things. You should consider a phaser (MXR Phase 95 is a winner) and perhaps a different wah. Flea's nearly always used a Dunlop 105Q. Going with the mini version would give you the same sounds, but in a much smaller package.

14. JavierV

JavierV

Dec 8, 2018

15. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Wow... Hyper Luminal and X7 made it onto your board. Great choices. I’ve ended up with both on my board and gas has greatly subsided.

Tony Rotella likes this.
  16. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Great choices for sure. My own personal issue.........can't live without some kind of octave below pedal.

17. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Good idea ditching the Vintage Deluxe in favor of the X7. Its an amazing distortion.

Matt Dean likes this.
  18. JavierV

JavierV

Dec 8, 2018
    D16CB13F-1C26-4316-AC7F-C3AB0683A82E.jpeg
    Thanks, this will be the final configuration. Will post some youtube links with sound tests hopefully by the end of the month. Thanks all for the comments it’s help me a lot.

cataract and Robertron like this.
  19. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    You'll get a lot of mileage out of that board.

20. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    What signal chain do you have in mind?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020