Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What <$1000 bass gets you in the Roscoe sonic ballpark?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, Mar 29, 2005.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Just curious. I love that fat sound of Roscoes, but my wallet is not equally fat.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Crack, PCP, Barbituates...

Basically, you want the Roscoe tone, you gotta fess up and throw down for one, man. I know. I've looked. Just keep saving, and scour the used market once you have about $1500.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had a Roscoe long ago and I don't clearly remember the tone except that it was deep and punchy. I think that maybe a Tribute or USA G&L could come close to mimicking a Roscoe. Maybe a HH Bongo could come close too?

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    so are those Roscoe pickups true humbuckers?

5. Most commonly used pickups on Roscoes are the Barts, and I believe they are humbuckers.

As for your original question, about 10 years ago Keith was producing a "low end" line. I had one, it had active EMGs on it, and it was a monster. Much different in sound than most of the Roscoes made now, but it still had the Killer B (sorry Mike T.) sound. It had an ash body and Maple top, great for slap (IMO) which is something I don't hear from a lot of Roscoe owners. Maybe the Barts?

Anyway, if you can find them, they tend to run much less than than the SKB or LG3000. It is the LG2000, with the LG shape but flat topand some other changes, including the electronics. Mine was $1000, and that's about what I've seen/heard of others going for.