Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What 100W Bass Combo should I look for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tsointsoin, Mar 9, 2005.

1. tsointsoin

tsointsoin

Apr 16, 2004
    I've been playing for a 'lil less than two years, and I need something bigger than my 30W Roland Cube for rehearsals and small gigs. I've got about 500-600 euro for budget, and I don't really know which amp would make it. I'm looking for around 100W, since with that money I don't think I can get a lot more with this budget. I'd prefer more a combo, for the same reasons. Playing a lot of styles, from '70 rock and jazz to metal.

I've searched around websites, but haven't found much. I was interested by the Ampeg BA-115, but I red bad comments on harmonycentral. So any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Fender Rumble 100 - nice - tight - flashy lights *cheese* - but it sounds good...

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    You might try an Ampeg B100R. I don't know what the price is in euros, but I got mine new for $500US, and I love it.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´d get the Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 Combo as it´s a much better value over here. The Ampeg farts easier IMO.

Check out http://www.beyers-music.de for some of the best prices over here. You can have the Ashdown MAG-C115 / 300W combo for 489 Euro. :bassist:

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Ampegs and Ashdowns might be better, but Carvin makes two nice 100 watt combos, one with 10" speaker (which I have) and one with a 15". If you go this route, get the 15", because the 10" doesn't move enough air for anything but the mellowest gig. The tone is great, though, and I like the EQ section and flexible speaker connectivity. Over here, they're a great deal, as in under $300. You could even move up to the 160 watt version with a 15", which would definitely cover smaller gigs. But make sure you have a direct box too, so you can go into the house PA.

Also might want to try the new Fender Bassman 150, which has 150 watts into a 12" speaker. I suspect it would be better than the Carvins (balanced DI among other things), but it costs a little more over here.

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My vote goes with the Ampeg B-100R. It's got a very 70's tube-like sound which I never tire of. I hear lots of people dogging Ampeg stuff around here, but I mainly only hear praises for this amp. Never heard the Ashdown combo, but i've heard good things about it as well.

7. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Yorkville xm100 would do nicely. If you can spring for the xm200 you get up to an extra 100 watts if you add another cabinet to the extension speaker output.

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The Ampeg BA115 isn't bad. They just have a lot of tweeter hiss. They really do sound nice though. I wouldn't over look it.

9. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Just wait a couple months and buy that new Behringer 300 watt combo. It'll cost less and be better!

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Agreed. Yorkville amps are amazing. My xm200 can stand up to a Marshall half-stack with out turning the volume knob past 3. Amazing tone as well.

Graeme :bassist: