What 15" should be my next cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jan 26, 2005.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    I play in a rock n roll band with a fender p bass special, QSC PLX 1202, and RBI (on its way), into a avatar 2x10.

I play a solid bass line in the songs and my 10's lack punch so i had the bass turned up too much and now one of my speakers is stressed out. I know can tell that i need a new cab, a 15". I was looking at the compact 15 by avatar but they dont make those anymore, so i would have to buy second hand. The cabs would stack nicely at least.

Also looking at the bag end 15. I hear great things about this cab, i was wondering if this cab is as good as people say.

Not a big deal to me if they dont stack, but it would be nice if they did.

Due to me getting my pre, i need to buy a rack still, then comes a new cab!!

Any help would be great, thanks.
  2. tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    i have an swr big ben and i love it to death. it is a 1x18 tho, so if you really have your heart set on a 15 i would go w/ somethin by Gallien Krueger. niether company has ever failed me or let me down in any way and i've had many swr heads and cabs and many GK heads and cabs.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end 1x15
    nuff said
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm not a GK guy at all, so I would say Bag End, Aguilar, or Ampeg for 15s if you aren't going to match your Avatar up.
  5. clearskies2

clearskies2 Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I tried a SWR Son of Bertha 1x15 cab for one gig and took it back. It was good, but was "farting out" at high volumes (was using it in conjunction with a Goliath Junior 2x10 and an SWR 750x. I went to a music store in town and put the SWR 750x right through a Son of Bertha and a Mesa Powerhouse 1x15. Even though I wanted to match brands and stick with the Son of Bertha, I am real happy with the Mesa. It just held its own better, even though I'm an SWR fan. They're going for about $500 used on Ebay and 650 new in most stores. It has a low end thump, great mids and even nice highs for a 15" even by itself. I combine it with a Goliath III 4x10 for gigs and best of all, the powerhouse Mesa has nice casters to roll around with. good luck!
  6. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I usually stack my swr goli III 4x10 on my SOB 1x15, but I was thinking I would like to try a 2nd 1x15 instead of the 4x10 at certain gigs. I am naturally leaning to a 2nd swr/SOB cab, but have seen some other brands for less new and used. Some of these cabs are rated higher or lower than my 350w sob. For ex: the swr workingman series 1x15 cab or even a eden, EV or JBL cab? Is there a power problem or disparity in sound if I got a 15 cab rated much higher or lower to run full range with my current swr cab? I am guessing not cause my 4x10 is rated 700w but your thoughts please. BTW, I see on MF that the sob1x15 and big ben 1x18 cost the same price, curious.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

power handling wise don't worry. as long as the lowest rated cab is fairly close to 1/2 of the output of the head at the net impedance you will be running it at you're ok. for example, if you have two 1x15 cabs that are 8 ohms each and one is rated for 200 watts and the other for 700 watts, AND you're using a mono head that puts out 500 watts at 4 ohms, that's 250 watts going into each cab, so that's fine.

the real thing to consider is sensitivity and apparent volume (they can be different) if one cab is 3 dB less sensitive than the other, it's going to be noticeably quieter. however, sometimes the way cabinets are voiced makes them seem louder or quieter despite equal sensitivities, so it's best to try the new cab out with the old one before you buy.
  8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Best 15s I have ever heard are the glockenklang (not dissing the bag ends). The next was a bergantino. Just for clarity I would have to say those are at the top and both are "very portable" for a single 15
  9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Yep, Bergantino HT115 would "not suck" at all.
    (pardon the Jim Rome-ism)
  10. I like most of the GK things I've owned and played, however I used a couple of GK 1x15s for years and liked them plenty until I found the SWR cabs. The GK's I had been using were loaded with the 400w EV drivers. Good speakers, but just don't provide the "depth" I got out of the SWR 15s. I still have one of the GK 15's as a spare- but it rarely gets used.
  11. I would look at the following:

Ampeg SVT15E nice cab handles full range very well, sounds nicer than my 4 x10 even on the high stuff !!

Ashdown ABM115 same sort as above

Peavey 1 x 15 good cabs for the money get a bw equiped one.

Trace Elliot compact 1 x 15" cab secondhand, maybe ebay etc. Good cabs work hard sound good.

Remember they are all 8 ohm cabs so think it through as your head can go to 2 ohms for full power.