Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What 1U compressor for my new rig: Aguilar DB359/GS210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Ah the wonders of Ebay ... Looking for a 1U rack mount compressor, single channel, simple operation. Haven't heard it, but the DBX 160x looked on target. I'm not a real tone tinkerer and want to avoid those units that have got a zillion controls.

2. I've been told by studio many studio guys that the older DBX 166 is one of the best compressors ever made. I'd look for one of them if I were you. jmho

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I second the DBX 166 - works GREAT for bass. I dumped my Alesis, and the DXB sounds miles better..

however, you might want to check out the RNC - I hear those are nothing short of amazing.

4. Check out the FMR RNC at www.fmraudio.com I'm ready to purchase one myself. The only downside is that you have to buy a rack tray to put it in the rack.

5. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i use an ashley cl50e with my db359. don't know if you can find those anymore?

6. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    I use dbx 160X - very nice on bass

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  8. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
    http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=CG200&CID=PROC

This is what I use. Damn nice to have two channels to play with. set one up kinda how you like it and then set the scend channel up the same way and then you have a "saved" channel and channel to play with and tweak. If the sound goes bad on the second channel just look at channel ones settings and start all over again.

The sound can get get really squished sounding but it really doesnt occur unless there is a large amount of compression going on.

9. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Seems that you don't need a whole 2nd channel to do that -- just piece of paper on which to write down "known-good" your settings :)

Asad

10. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
    I'll give ya that but not always is a pen and paper around. Plus I've used the second channel as a signal boost for my lead player, turn everything down but the output gain, works really nice.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This was posted four years ago! Quite the revival by snap42. ;) :ninja:

I'll play along anyway: as posted in my reviews page, my favorite rack units are the Rane DC24, Symetrix 501, Aphex 661, and dbx 166A. If I had to pick just one for a studio session, it would be the Aphex hands down. For a rugged gigging piece, it would the Symetrix; the Rane is equally good, but in different ways, so it's just a matter of taste.

12. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    only four years?? :p Well you know, I'm not cruisin this forum everyday so it was a bit of coinsidence.. I just bought this unit and I couldn't be happier; it's really what i've been looking for all these years. That's actually 22... :eyebrow: Have never been any keen on tapping, but even that sounds good with this wonderfull thing!

13. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Would you use double-sided sticky foam to stick it to the top of your amp? I've done it with a few units through the years, my tuner is currently mounted that way, and when in need of a change, Goo Gone takes it right off.

Saves the $30 to get that tray.

14. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    DBX 160A or I prefer the Demeter Compulator pedal.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

love my compulator, too.

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Another vote for the Demeter Compulator, it doesn't get any simpler.