Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What 1x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captaind, Dec 10, 2005.

1. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    I've been reading tons of info. on this forum and other forums in regards to using (1) small cab for gigging. I have learned many things from you people but I'm still unsure of what's best for my application.

I'm looking for (1) 12" cab to pair with my GB600 amp using a SR5 Music Man. Later, i possibly will add another 12" cab for larger venues and or sound.

Currently, I play at low to moderate volume with PA support. I have a Mesa Walkabout Scout with the 15" speaker, which i
    like the sound of, that i use for practice with the band. So. i guess i'm looking for the vintage old school sound.

Which small 12" cab will give me that sound?

Currently, price is not the biggest issue but quality, tone and weight are high on my list.

Cabs that interest me are EA, especially the NYC and the Whizzy, Schroder mini 12, Epifani and maybe the Bergantino cabs.

Which of these cabs will give me the low B and the vintage old school sound? In Your Opinion of course!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Personal preference will rule the day, but I'd narrow the list down to the HT112, Wizzy, and UL112. My guess is that one of those will float your boat, and they are all viable choices for a stand alone 1x12 (in the right setting), IME/IMHO.

[Edit: I have not tried one, but the newer HT112s looks very promising, too, and the discontinued Epifani T-112 is a great cab, too.]

Tom.

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've got a GS112 which I like, but it sometimes seems too smooth. It would be great if there was a small cab with the Aggie lows and those warm/punchy Bagend mids.

Can anyone comment on how the old Epi T112 compares to the Aggie? All I've read leads me to think that it's just a further refinement on the same type of tone. Sound accurate?

4. The Schroeder1210 and 1212 are amazing single cab solutions that are about the same size (or smaller!) than many 112's. They are not lightweight (over 50 pounds), but they get massively louder than any single 12 cab I've ever played through. Of course, you have to like the tone, but if you do, they are just wonderful as a small single cab solution for electric bass. Throw in the different tweeter options, the introduction of Neo versions early next year, and the amazing service, and this line of cabs seems even more amazing.

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Ken. Surprisingly, I haven't been able to glean much info about the Schroeder "tone" from the several threads I've checked out. All the raves are obvious, but where do they fall on the spectrum? What type of music are they favored for? Most specific I've read is that they sound like a polished/refined Eden. Can you point us to a good thread (but not that mega-thread)?

6. I don't think there is a specific 'tone' thread or series of posts that I could point you towards. However, 'refined' Eden XLT is pretty close to the mark IMO.

The Schroeder's are one of those cabs that don't blow you away sitting at home and doing very controlled A/B testing... they are definitely NOT hi fi, flat, scooped, etc.... all those different voicings that IMO make some cabs sound great alone but sometimes sound not so great when you get them on a gig. However, just like the EdenXLT line that can sound a little 'honky' when solo'd in a control setting, they just punch through on a gig.

So, if you like the Eden XLT sound at all, my feeling is you will like the 1210 even better. I have a 1212 arriving today and will post the differences that I perceive between them.... I was looking for a little more 'boom' and open low end out of the 1212, and from I understand, that's what I should get.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    What I've seen around here lately as a match is a berg/aggie 112 mix. which solves the problem of big bottom and clean tight puch. Personally, I like the Epifani 112 with an aggie. Smooth, fat bottom with clean high end (admittedly not as nice as the berg) and good volume.

8. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I myself use an Avatar 112 cabinet, and have found it to be a great value for the money I paid for it (around $200). It provides phenomenal low-end on all of my basses (four, five or six strings), yet maintains punchy mids and clear highs, and I can get a great old-school funk tone. All this, and it's only around 45 pounds, and not too big (about 17" H, 24" W, 16" D).

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Having heard the HT112 with a T-112, and having heard the 1210 and 1212 I'm going to have to disagree pretty strongly on that one. The HT112/T-112 combination, to my ears, is more tonally balanced, with a more clear & articulate presentation. The low end of this combination is very stout, firm, deep and tight. By contrast, I found the lows on the 1210 and 1212 to have a slightly rounded edge, with definite fullness, but perhaps not as "visceral" of an attack. The Schroeders are also more colored, to my ears, and seem to have a low-midrange push (which I do find reminiscent of the Eden 410XLT). Depending how you define the word, I could definitely see where some people would call the Schroeders more "punchy" than the Berg/Epi combo.

Tom.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    are you talking berg/aggie or berg/epi??

11. I would guess that the HT112/T-112 combo sounds amazing. That Ag112 is my all time least favorite 112 (of the higher end 112's anyway), and a perfect example to me of a cab that sounds pretty good in the family room, but not so good in a busy mix (IMO, of course). However, for the original poster's request for a small, 12" speaker-based single cab solution, the 1210 (and I assume the 1212) is literally the only cab of that size (i.e., the size of a typical 112 box) that can handle a full, loud, screamin' gig all by itself (e.g., a gig that would typically require a 4x10)... hence my recommendation. However, as always, if you don't like the tone, that's another story.

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Bergie HT112. Maybe a pair if you need a little more umph.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Ooops! My bad. I was talking Berg/Epi, not Berg/Aggie.

Tom.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point. If volume per cubic foot of cab is your overriding criteria, then the 1212 is a good bet (I preferred it's low B handling to that of the 1210).

Tom.