What 2x10 do you prefer???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 24, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

after agonizing over why i dont cut thru the mix, i realized i should invest in a good 2x10. What 2x10's are your favorites? i'm using an Eden WT400. something lightweight, yet toneful. should i get the slanted cabs that face a little upwards? or should i stick with the good ole outward facing ones?

i tried doing a search for 2x10's but its been turned off. DOH!!
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use a pair of SWR Goliath Juniors. They give me all the tone I need, and only weigh ~55 pounds each (an important consideration for me).
  3. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Although I've only played through one 210, I believe that SWR Workingmans sound pretty good. Many people in here will mention Eden and other high end models, but for the sound and money I think an investment in SWR Workingman 210 is very ideal. It sounds really good, the low end is pretty cool considering they only have 10" speakers in there. The tweeter is pretty cool too, I never really liked tweeters before but maybe thats because I was playing through a Fender Bassman, I hate those amps, they are not me. But now I really like tweeters, they sound really good especially when you slap, MAN THAT'S FUN!!!!! Well anyways. But that's just me.
  4. Well, like tucker said, people will mention Eden, and i'm going to do just that. Eden D-210XLT all the way.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As MFC says, Eden D-210XLT. I didn't realize there were any others out there.
  6. The SWR Golliath jr. III has great lows for a 2x10.
  7. If your short on cash check out eden nemesis line. I have the 210 combo and love it. Worth a look.
  8. Joker,
    It depends on your wallet...and your ears!

I like SWR, but to use the total output of your WT-400, I would not get a Workingman's 2x10. They are rated at 8 ohms, so you would only be squeaking out around 200-250 watts.

Yes, Eden 210XLT's Goliath Jrs are great. If you have some more budget, look into Aguilar, Epifani, Bergantino, and this site has been saying some great things about EBS cabs too.

Have fun!
  9. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Regarding 2x10's...I've had a lot of them. From SWR to Eden, to my new favorite BAG END!

I picked up the (discontinued) D10X-D cab and it sounds awesome! It's only 12" deep and has the coaxial speaker. I think it's rated from 50 - 20k, 400 watts RMS.

The mids and highs are the nicest I've heard!

While the 210XLT probably had a little more rumble on the lows, it falls way short in clarity, and upper mids and highs.

Keep in mind, I think they only come in 4 ohm versions.

The ultimate cab combo is using my Bergantino 310, one Bag End cab and my WT800. It's the best of all worlds!
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't own any 210 cabs but I have a 410 Genz Benz. Just based on my appreciation of it, I'm looking into possibly purchasing two 210 Benz cabs.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're stuck on a 2x10, by all means elevate it however you can. Slant cabs work okay for the "middiness" of guitars but I haven't found they do much for floor-hugging bass tone.

I've got an Eden D-210XLT and have lately been using a Genz Benz 2x10. Both are fine cabs, IME, and produce a rich bass tone.

HOWEVER, without at least a 15" to complement them, they just wilt under the boosted bass I subject them to.

An SWR 6x10 and an Ampeg SVT I used did a good job, though, although they lacked a 15"s "BIG" sound.
  12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I also like the added sound of a 15 to give a full rich sound, but in regards to a 2X10 any of the ones mentioned in this thread should suffice. I agree with Munji though, out of all of the 2X10's that I have played through I felt that the Eden had the best tone.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, thanks guys,

as a former guitar player who got hooked on bass, i'm learning sooo much more bout bass in a matter of days. this forum rawks.

i had one more question tho. how does the tone of a 1x12 differ??? people including Bass Player magazine's guide have told me its more balanced. i'm not looking to get anything bigger if i was to get a 2x10 for the small venues i play. would a 1x12 be a more rounded out approach for me?
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    A 112 would give you some of the qualities of both the 10" and 15" speaker. You would get a little more lows than a 10" but it would be a little more punchier than a 15". I hope that I'm explaining this right. Someone else may be better qualified.
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Somewhat amp dependent. With an Eden or SWR, I prefer the Eden D210XLT. With a Mesa Boogie 400+, I prefer the Mesa 2x10 in a Road Ready case for it's fatter more tube-friendly "oomph."