1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What 2x15" Cab w/your Ampeg V4(B,BH)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Feb 26, 2008.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Describe the brand/vintage, 2x15" cabinet you are using with your V4 amp. Old school stuff for sure, the way I personally like my bass to sound.

Pics are welcome.

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I opted for a 1x15 from Fliptop but to tell you the truth Lag, I think the Carvin 1503 sounds better. I've been tempted on several occassions to pick up a Peavey 1810 or 1820. The scuttlebutt I've heard is that they sound really good but they are very heavy. I saw an old Ampeg 2x15 for sale not long ago. Was tempted again but once again came to my senses before my back sat me down for a good talking to. ;)

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I use two single 15" boxes, being 52 and having had two back surgeries and all. :bag:

My ear can't tell the difference between them being in one box or two, but my body sure can. :D

4. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Pedro, the Carvin cab you are refering to, isn't it a single 15" pa cab?

5. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
  6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.

It is indeed.

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Okay, consider me interested. How is this cabinet superior in tone to the Ampeg recreation?

[I have tried my Peavey SP2G PA speakers for bass and was not impressed.]

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Jazzman, I don't know the reasons but to me the Carvin sounds louder, fuller, deeper. I'm not saying that the Fliptop doesn't sound good and there is the issue of confidence w/ respect to the Carvin but that was my impression on Sunday when I had both cabinets at rehearsal and A/B'd them.

9. Surprised the NV215 hasn't been mentioned as soon as "vintage" and "2x15" was mentioned. Is it a little too thirsty for a 100W tube head?

10. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    You know there's one down at GC, right? I'm sure you could talk them down to a pretty good price.

11. I know a guy who got excellent results with a pair of Mesa Diesel 1x15's and a tube Ampeg head. I think that combination or the Diesel 2x15 would be worth a look. Same thing as the EV TL606, lots of people have made that box over the years.

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yea I saw but didn't have a chance to try it out. Anyway, like I said, I'm trying to be nice to my back.

13. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I love the tone of my V4 thru the Berg NV215. I think the cab's high sensitivity makes the head even louder than it is. As others have said, this cab engulfs everything around it in a bear hug of bass. I have recorded a small outdoor party gig with my edirol r-09 that sat about 12 feet in front of the whole band. The tone was so unbelievably great! It sounded like I was plugged into the board...but there was no board! Perfect match IMO.