Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What 4 ohm cab can out Mesa Mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJBluegrasser, Feb 9, 2006.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi All,
    I've a Walkabout Scout that I love. I'd like to add an extention cab for larger situations, and for fun:) I'm looking for a 4 ohm cab since the internal Scout speaker is 4 ohms. I know that I'll be running below it's minimum rating, but I'm okay with that.

I like the rockin' Mesa tone, but I'm interested in other, possibly more efficient, cabs that will push some volume @300W but won't change the sound much. Improvement in sound is okay, but I'm not going for hi-fi...just thick, very thick, but distinct and chest thumping. I don't slap and I don't play with a pick.

I'm open to 2x10s, 1x12s, 1210s, 1x15s, 2x12s, maybe a 3x10, etc. Not looking for anything as large as a 4x10 (it is only a Walkabout:meh:)

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Jason

2. From your previous posts, I assume you want a cab that will sound good with DB and EB? You will also want an efficient cab IMO, since the Walkabout doesn't put out huge watts.

The cabs that come to mind that would seem to match the warmth of the Mesa and be relatively small and light, 4ohms, and relatively efficient are the Schroeder 1210 Light and possibly the BergantinoHT210S and/or EANL210, both of which are available in 4ohm versions (however.... neither are super efficient, but not horrible either like the Acme).

My first choice would be the 1210 with the standard tweeter.... it's very efficient and tonally seems to be a good match for the combo speaker/tweeter... it is warm and punchy and would sound fine with DB and Electric. Plus, you might find that if you take the head of of the combo, a single 1210 would be sufficient for most gigs.

Just my 2 cents!

K

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    3 Schroeder cabs come to mind. 1212, 1210, or 21012. Any of those should be pretty rockin' with your setup.

4. Seems to me the 1212 wouldn't really sit that well with the DB and that the 21012 would be WAY overkill considering that the Walkabout would only be putting about 150 watts into it (assuming the internal speaker is used). Just an IMO

5. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    KJung,
    Thanks for the quick comment! I don't think the DB is as important for me in this question. I've found that I use the house mostly for DB. However, thanks for the suggestion, and a doubling cab is definitely a plus. But straight up rock and roll is my only 'requirement' for this question.

Thanks,
    Jason

6. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    So, if the Walkabout puts out 300W at 4 ohms (internal speaker), wouldn't I expect it to put out close to 600W at 2 ohms (out of spec of course:)

Jason

7. Then I'd even more recommend the Schroeder over the Berg and EA210.... and possible the 1212 would now be a contender (again, with the standard tweeter). I really like the sound of the 1210 for almost everything (I haven't had a chance to try the light.... but I'm sure it sounds great). These cabs have a lot of low mid ooomph versus the very nice, articulate middle to upper mids of the Berg and EA... plus the 1210 is A LOT louder due to its very high efficiency.

I owned a Walkabout Scout for a while, but never used it with my Schroeder (I had sold it prior to my Schroeders arriving)... however, it seems to tone lines up pretty well with the scout combo... which to my ear is very warm and full. The Schroeder standard tweeter is quite a bit nicer IMO than the Scout tweeter (as is the Berg and EA).

Anyway.... rocking with the Walkabout still screams 1210 Lite to me! If the DB was really in the mix... the Berg and EA would move up a bit.

8. I don't think the Walkabout significantly goes up in wattage at 2ohms... but I could be wrong. The EBS350 is like that... the wattage is about the same in 2 or 4. I thought that's what happens in the Walkabout... but I could be very wrong about that.... so many of these amps behave differently at 2ohms that I get confused! I'm sure someone in the know will respond.

Vic and/or Tom will know... I believe they've both run this head into a 2ohm load.

9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    you can always bring your scout up to WV and A B it with my mini12+ walkabout combo ;)

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, I never ran mine below 4. :)

The problem is, the amp was designed to source enough current to support 300W output at a 4 ohm load. If you ask for more current, by "underloading" the power section, one of two things happens, based on the design...

If the available current supply is already exhausted (most likely the case), then what happens is, current goes up, but voltage goes down, and the power remains about the same. The difference is, sourcing all that extra current usually means more heat, and potentially thermal shutdown. The risk just depends on if the amp is designed to tolerate those conditions or not.

If, however, the amp was designed to truly support a 2ohm load, then it has "reserve" power at 4 and 8, so at 2, it will put out more.

Note that I differentiate between "support" and "tolerate". By "tolerate" I mean it wasn't designed to do that, and there's really no benefit to it other than possibly more cab config options. By "support" I mean it was meant/designed to do it.

What it all boils down to is "maximium power transfer", which is usually the lowest RATED load for the amp.

In other words, I'd bet money the Walkabout doesn't go up much, if at all, at a 2 ohm load, and all you'll do is risk thermal shutdown. Those amps are built really well, so I doubt you'll damage it, but the last thing I need live is sudden dead silence on bass in the middle of a song, which is exactly where it will happen if it will... when loaded.

Disclaimer: IMHO, to the best of my knowledge.

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd have to dig out my user's manual, but I think I read that the power output stays pretty well the same at 2 ohms.

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    It doesn't say, which makes sense, because I'd think they wouldn't want to confuse people by stating a spec based on a config they wouldn't want anyone to use.

13. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    You guys may be right about the power output. I will only say that Mesa admitted to me once that they were torture testing a Walkabout at 2 ohms in their shop. It would seem odd to me that they would do that if it weren't going to perform any better at that level. But maybe they're just messing around, who knows:meh: When a power transitor is pushed past spec, there could be a "bounce" in transient voltage. Steady state, the voltage would even out, but could very possibly overheat and damage the parts. However, speakers are always in the transient state, so it seems like performance and sound could be affected.

Anyway... Let's just ignore that I may be a crackhead for trying this for now. What I'm really interested in is what would be a good speaker pairing to give me the same or better Mesa thump and rock 'n roll tone (in a perfect world were the Walkabout to perform perfectly).

Thanks!
    Jason

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually it makes perfect sense to test that way. If you want it to be bullet proof at it's rated settings, abuse it and see where it does die.

Thing is, even if the amp survives, running parts above their rated environment (hotter than spec'd) will at least shorten their lives, so even if you don't go thermal, you're wearing the components out at an accelerated rate.

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Vic - I just had to pipe in after looking at your gear page. My God!!! Very impressive to say the least. So, what is your opinion of the Walkabout Scout?

Skel

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Thanks, but if you really wanna' see a collection, look at tombowlus' blog (link in his sig). bass mecca, dude. :)

Dunno. The local shop only had the 15" version and I was only interested in the 12". I had the head. I loved the head, but recently got rid of it as part of a deal to get into a ThunderFunk 550.

Not to derail, but on an interesting related note, I got the very first one of the new 550-B version... has some cool updates.

Here's the thread, if yer interested... includes a few pics from a micro hang with KJung and jmb7183).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227332