Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What 5-string for between $500-$750?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I'm not quite likeing my Stingray 5. While, I like it's sound, I feel that it's just not my sound. What I really fell in love with tone wise are the new HH Music Man Bongos. I love how I can make it sound like phat P with some burp and a MM edge and also make it sound like a soloed J-bridge pickup (those are the types of sounds I'm looking for). Is there a 5-string within the $500-$750 that can get somewhere near the tone of a HH Bongo?

(Please only suggestions within mentioned price range, I can only afford to do an even trade)

2. Theres a post in gear for sale for a SC/H Bongo for $750.

3. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I didn't like the sound of the SC/H Bongo on a 5-string. I liked the HH sound. Thanks though.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Lakland will do that. (it's up for sale, too!)

5. G&L L2500 or Tribute L-2500 will get that kind of sound. In series mode, with both pickups on and the preamp engaged, it sounds like a P, mixed with a Jazz, on steroids... very full-sounding tone.

6. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Yeah, I was considering a Tribute L-2500, but seeing as I have an Alembic F1-X I was unsure about losing a mid control on the bass.

I've thought about the Lakland 55-01, but I've heard mixed reviews. I've heard it's tonally versatile and I've also heard that it sounds like a glorified J-bass.

Really, all I want is something that can get close to the sound of an HH Bong. So far I think the L-2500 is it.

7. Skyline 55-01?

8. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    So it looks like my decision will be ultimately based on the Tribute L-2500 and the Skyline 55-01. This is such a tough decision.

9. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Not sure but would the 55-02 be closer to what he is looking for tone wise? I just got a new 55-01, cause I wanted something tonally different than my Sray 5, though I am not sure yet how to describe the tone I get from this bass. Only played out live twice so far. I bought this bass pretty much based on the threads I'd been reading here and the website specs, was not able to find one to play firsthand. Seems like very nice quality though. I was also considering the KSD proto-J70 but I do already have a J-bass. Hope I made the right decision.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Maybe, but with a upper spending limit of $750, I doubt he'll get into one.

I second the motion for a 55-01, however. Should fall within yer price range, and based on my experiences with my 55-02, I'm pretty sure they're GREAT basses.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, I've played a Tribute 2500 Deluxe, and just could not get along with it. The dealer's a friend and offered me a great price, too, but I just couldn't get tones I liked, and the neck was a bit too thick for me. I think they're made real well, but just not my thing. Too "dark" sounding for me. EQ'd in all the wrong places. All this IMHO, but per my other post, I think it's all about the Skyline 55-01.

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Lakland
    G&L
    Ken Smith Design

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Id get the nicest J bass you can afford. They work it most any type of musical situation

Rob

14. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Don't count out the new Active MTD Heir basses.

15. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Yeah, they did catch my eye. Unfortunately, there are no MTD dealers anywhere remotely close to me.

16. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Call Bass Emporium in Austin I think he's got a boatload of MTD's in house.

17. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    With a little luck, a used Stingray 5!

ANDRUCA

18. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Maybe a bit OT here, but I went to try out some midpriced 5'ers a few months ago, I did not care too much for the tributes, peaveys I tried. As I walked along this wall of basses I grabbed an Ibanez Roadgear and this little bass surprised me with all the sounds I was able to pull out of it. It had J/MM pups and I think it was below 5 bills. Ended up getting a 55-01 recently but I still think back to that Roadgear when I see folks looking in this price range. Just dropping my .02 here.

19. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Yeah, I've browsed past the Ibanez stuff myself, but never felt compelled to try anything. The stuff in the Roadgear series doesn't have the string spacing I desire.

20. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Haha, a Stingray 5 is what I have now. :smug: I'm just looking for something that will get me close to the sound of a MusicMan HH Bongo. Preferably something with a wide string spacing.