1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what 5 string should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glowinghamster4, Mar 8, 2010.

1. First of all, Ive been lurking around for a little while now, making posts here and there, but for those I havent run into yet, I'm Jamie.

Ok so basically ive been talking about getting a new bass for probably years, but because I'm just a poor college student its stayed down low on the list. However now that I finally was able to replace my car and some other things, I think I've finally reached that point in time. What I currently have is a 74 fender p (No I didnt buy it, I inherited it from my dad), and because I dont have the kind of budget needed to have an entire collection, Im looking to pick up something that simply is everything that the p bass isnt. Main points being 5 string, longer scale, active, you get the picture. Planning on dropping somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000, even though I dont have that money at the moment. Im currently saving, just given how insanely picky I am about even the smallest things (Ive spent 10 minutes sitting in my car figuring out what song Im in the mood to listen to. not exaggerating one bit.), add how much of my hard earned money im planning on spending, and pretty much if I want this thing before the end of the year I should start searching now.

I recently played a 5 string modulus that I absolutely LOVED but the price tag on it was $1800 :bawl:. Graphite neck, semi hollowbody, absolutely beautiful, but considering thats about what I bought my car for I dont think I can justify spending that much on a bass.

So TB, What 5ers do you like? Im not too familiar with the brands in that price range, all I know is I played a stingray 5 and was kind of disappointed. Im probably going to end up jumping on a good used deal that comes up so Im not really looking at one in particular, just wondering what all you guys like so I can start checking them out. Ive checked out the brands at guitar center but not surprisingly their selection in what Im looking at is pretty low :rollno: so i havent gotten much of a feel yet.

2. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Hey Jamie

One answer: the Dingwall Combustion. $1200, 5 string, 37"-34" scale. Amazing value for the money. Read about it here, here and here. No one (I've seen yet) has bought one and regretted it. One guy did sell his, but only to buy another ~$6k Dingwall. So yeah. Definition AND warmness across the entire scale.

3. wow, Im almost embarrassed to say now that until just now I had never even heard of Dingwall before, but ill be ****ed thats a sexy looking/sounding bass. What stores even stock these things? Obviously not GC but do you know anywhere that actually carries these things? As of right now Im dying to play one

4. TRABEN ARRAY!!!

5. look on the used market you can find one of the following for around 1000-1200 if you look hard enough: Warwicks,Pedulla Raptures,Spector Euros and Modulus Fleas basses.

6. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Dingwall strings are not that easy to find. There are Dingwall stainless steel strings which you can order directly from Dingwall online and from dealers that are listed on the Dingwall website, or you can order suiting nickle strings from TB member Blues Cat. Flats and half-wounds are in the making as far as I know.

I was worried about strings when I was buying my Dingwall. Now, I'm not worried at all. They sound great and last a long time. I wipe the strings after playing with a dry cloth, so I guess that helps. I've bought two spare sets, and one is still not open after 8 months. Note that I'm in southeastern Europe with no access to a dealer or even a paypal account and if I'm not worried - and I'm not - you shouldn't be either.

7. If you liked the Modulus, keep your eye out for a used Peavey GV, five string, cirrus electronics, modulus graphite neck, 35" scale ect. Basically a modulus, with better electronics (IMO) and cheaper -- they can be had for ~$600, but they are rare.

lowsound

8. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Save your money, and get what you like.

9. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    Theres a modulus fb5 sparkle blue in the for sale section for 1150.00

10. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Big +1 for Dingwall
    I have not had the chance to try a Combustion yet but I purchased a used Afterburner I last year for $1400 CDN and it is easily the best 5 string if not the best bass I have owned or played in 20+ years. The B string is incredible as are all the notes across the fetboard, even string tension, perfect intonation and don't let the fanned frets scare you they take no time to adjust.
    Good luck!

11. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
  12. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    MODULUS

just save up and snatch a good one that comes along

13. lowstrung

lowstrung

Jan 2, 2006
    Athens, Greece
    I agree!
    Today I tried a Ibanez SR505 at the local distributor here in Athens.Fantastic feel,very good sound, a very honest offer from Ibanez at 540euros.
    Try it..

14. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Consider a Spector Euro too :)

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, you get no argument from me on a Modulus. Mine is my favorite bass hands-down! And I can say that with some other nice instruments (Smith, Alembic etc.) All I can say is keep your eyes open. There was a really nice Modulus used at the local store for $1200 (like new) and I only paid $700 for mine (used with wear but easily restorable). I don't know what it is about it, but it sure has SOMETHING that places it above all the rest. I especially like the way mine cuts through the mix like a hot knife through butter. You just have to live with it for a while to appreciate just how good it is!

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There is a cherry G&L 2500 5 string on Ebay right now that has a buy it now of $1100 with free shipping... A bit high, but it's in really nice shape. I've seen G&L 1500 5 strings go for $600 on ebay - - a *great* value

17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Ditto.. I've owned Gs, BQuads, Modulus, and other graphites.

Save the loot for a GV or BQuad.

Bquad is Modulus' nicest work.

18. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Spector Euro used

19. Coliah

Coliah

Jun 12, 2009
    How does one go about getting a combustion? I can't find any online
    I'm gonna get a job and save up for a couple months just to buy that olympic white with tort pickguard combustion 5

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020