what 500 to 700 dollar head is best with 2x15 fender cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucas vigor, Oct 13, 2004.

1. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have an emergency situtation. My amp blew.

We have a gig tomorrow night, and I don't have the cash yet to buy a new rig by then, but my guitarist has offerered to purchase a head for me, to be paid back later. He already has an older 2x 15 fender cabinet, with JBL's, but i don't know the OHM's rating offhand. What head to you suggest I purchase to go with it? We are a classic style rock band, and I have about 500 to 700 to spend. I would seriously appreciate any suggestions. I was thinking first about the solid state ampeg. I will be using my P with flats and mostly my J with Roundies.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a used one
    seriously, dont make a one day decision. Rent one. Just about any music store will rent you a peice of used gear. Even renting a power amps and using a preamp pedal would be better than making a decision in a day. After the gig, i would take a serious look thru the classifieds here.
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yes, renting is far and away your best bet buying a head on no notice and zero research is a piss poor way to do business. Rent, and search the classifieds and try to find what kind of sound you're looking for. You only get to spend the money once compadre.
  4. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    if you're playing with other bands, ask one of the other bassist's if you can borrow theirs. the band i used to be in, they've played at least 5 or 6 shows, they've never used their own amps.
  5. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Ok, let me put the question in a different way:

If you owned a late 70's, early 80's 2x15 bass cabinet, and were looking for an amp in the 500 to 700 dollar range to go with it, for a classic style rock band, what would you choose?

I realize it is important not to nake hasty decisions, but I have two jobs, and no time to look in the classifieds. I don't know what if any other bands are playing tomorrow night, and we are going on close to last anyway, so borrowing may not be an option.

Whatever amp head I choose, I will be trying it out tonight at rehearsal for at least 4 hours.

I have 3 other smaller camps already, with plenty of features. Now what I need is simply loud volume, huge watts compatible with a 2x15 fender cabinet. In the 500-700 dollar range.

I need it to be new equiptment, not used. All I own that I bought used were bass guitars. I am uncomfortable with buying used electronics due to the fact that I used the old head with various ohms cabinets, and it worked fine for about 4 years, but finally blew, because I stupidly hooked up huge amounts of wrong matched cabinets. I don't want to purchase a used head because maybe it is in the "working great" stage of it's existence, but after a month or so, may reach the point my old head just did.

I really am hoping someone will post something definitive in reply to my question!
  6. Is your 2x15 cab 4ohms or 8ohms?

I'm a big fan of SWR, so I vote for the Workingman's 4004. 400watts @ 4ohms D.I. and more.

I also like Yorkville products so if you could find a XS400H you would get 400 watts @ 4ohms, tube preamp & D.I. along with other stuff.

Sorry, I don't know the prices but I'm guessing that they are in the $500 - $700 ball park.

Hope that helps.
  7. Sorry,.......... but I too would advise you to rent something and then do some more research before plunking down your money.

Will you need a D.I.? Do you need an FX loop? Do you want a large amp or one that is easily transportable? Rack or no rack? If your 2x15 cab is 4ohms, will you ever want to add a second cab?
  8. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,

The SWR workingman was my thoughts too..and I do believe that the cabinet may very well be 4 ohms...

But since it is not marked on the cabinet, could I assume that a 2x15 cabinet would be 4 ohms?
  9. What about the Workingmans 8008 Tower of power? I don't know the specs but I believe it would be 800watts. My opinion - more watts better tone and control. But I'm not sure of the price and it seems that SWR has taken it off of there website,... not always a good thing.
  10. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Well, I think 300 to 400 wats would be enough...it is a smallish club we are playing, and just a three piece band. Our guitarist is more alt then hard rock, so I really don't have to compete with a wall of sound.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Just rent a head and use your friend's cabs...

Hell, he probably even has a guitar head laying around too. use it.

Don't rush into a purchase...
  12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Oh, and size is not an issue, nor if it is rack mounted or not, but i would actually prefer a non rack mounted head. As far as effects, DI's..etc..I already have all of that stuff.
  13. You stated that you alrerady have 3 smaller amps. I would buy a QSC RMX 1450 power amp to connect with the 2x15 cab, use one of your smaller amps as a preamp, and take your time to buy a rack mount preamp later. Maybe a Bmax or an RBI.
  14. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If you can get your hands on one fairly quickly, grab an Ashdown MAG 300. 300 watts, and it can be had new for ~$300. Back up and running.

Then, take your time, possibly scratch together a few more dollars, and audition a number of heads. Buy the one you like best within your price range.

End result: you buy time to carefully select the head you really want. And if this happens to you again (if you play long enough, it will), the MAG is close at hand as a backup.
  15. I'd go with what Muzikman said, qsc rmx. You can get a 1450 for 399.00 or even a 2450 (2400w bridged) for 699.00. Hard to beat what you get for that price IMO.
  16. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Thank you beef, Muzik and yuppie!

I hope I can find some of those at either sam ass, or guitar center!

if not, we are going with the SWR workingman.
  17. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    if you're going on close to last, its even better, all you'd have to do is ask them to leave it on stage after their set
  18. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    GK 1001RB-II!!!!!!! 700 watts!! Pro quality! $649 Brand new!!!! Best deal out there. :bassist:
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My Hartke 3500 did wonders into my Yamaha 215. You can buy two of them for $700. They're great amps.