1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What 55-01 Preamp is this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr Matt, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Mr Matt

Mr Matt Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Anyone out there know their Skyline preamps?

There is no labeling what so ever on this, am I safe to say this is the Korean pre? Is it a Bart? What the hell kind a preamp is this?

Thinkin about a new preamp for the 55-01, but would like to know for sure what I'm replacing.

DCP_5653.
    DCP_5649.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    yes, that's the original standard MK1 Korean preamp.

Mike

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    +1

4. Mr Matt

Mr Matt Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Cool, thanks.
    I like the aggressiveness of this pre, but it's a bit cold, klanky & metallic for me.
    From what I read/heard the Aguilar is an aggressive more rock oriented preamp.
    I don't want anything "polite" per say, but would like to warm it up while still having an edge to it.
    Any suggestions?

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yeah, I find mine clanky too. I interested in any suggestions as well.

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I replaced the MK1 in mine with a standard bart 3-band and liked that pretty well, but it was a smoother sound than the original. Part of the edge the 55-01 has comes from the pickups, though, so you might still get what you're looking for out of it.

These days my favorite pre is the Audere--I'd definitely put that on your "short list". The Z-mode switch gives you the option of a more or less aggressive overall sound, but it keeps a bit of clarity and bite in all 3 modes.

Personally I was not that crazy about the Aguilar that was in my Nordstrand--it sound very "EQ-ed" to my ears, as opposed to natural--but that may have just been me.

Mike

7. I know this is an old thread but this might be helpful to someone in this situation.

If you have a 55-01 and think it sounds metallic/clanky, an Audere preamp is NOT the answer. :scowl:

I was in the exact situation and the "goodness" of the Audere is the problem in this situation. Here's the deal: One of the best things about an Audere is that it is sonically transparent.

Most of the time, that's great but if you find a 55-01 to be clanky, the Audere will not offset by coloring the tone. An Audere reproduces exactly what your pups deliver -- only more of it.

In this situation, you're better off with a USA-made Bart preamp or even an Aggie.