What 8x10 cab to get?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 11Bravo, Nov 4, 2005.

1. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    I play anything from jazz to grindcore but the the style my band playes is melodic hardcore.
    I was wondering what 8x10 cab would be the best.
    I'm looking at a aguilar s 810,ampeg svt classic810.
    So which one is your choice?
  2. get the ampeg..it's a classic & the standard..plug & play. what kind of head are you using? the older ones are built better & sound "better" in MHO. :cool:
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Berg NV610 :)

Sorry, I want one of these really, really bad, and they are regularly compared to other 810s as being both louder and more defined in the low range.
  4. ampeg has been the standard cab for hardcore for decades

and not many jazz bass players need am 810, just a small combo a mug of coffee
  5. I use a 32 year old Ampeg. I really love the way it sounds; it's like buttah. However, your ears may tell you something different.

Go with your ears.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Bergantino NV610. You won't miss the extra two speakers, believe me.
  7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    get one of tose mesa road ready ones..

right sweet
  8. The new ampeg classic 8x10's are made of chipboard - not plywood, so the older ones are ahead there. So putting any extra castors or handles on it may be difficult.
    The ampeg would still be my choice over the others availabvle tho.
  9. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    For what you have in mind Mesa might be the way to go. Ive never tried the Berg myself, but its the rave around here.

Now and then you can find Powerhouse 4x10 cabs on Ebay in the $400-600 range (+shipping), if that suits your budget.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

didnt know jazzers were using 8x10's these days...

but yea, save your dough for a used NV610. waaaaay lighter, waaay nicer sounding. it'll last thru a few rig changes, no doubt. try the classifieds here, or look on the 'bay.
  11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Bergantino NV 610 - amazing sound and tone. Mine is WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY too big for me, but I love it!

Dan K.
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bergie 610. Just got one, try one and you will buy it (just a fair warning ;) ). If you go Aguilar, the 412 is better than the 810. Ampeg 810... just blah the vintage ones are good but the new ones have no bottom end.
  13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I agree. They also seem to be muddy as hell, IMHO.