1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what a bad birthday present!! what's up with my amp?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AB53211, Aug 20, 2007.

1. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    Well my birthday was pretty good today up until now. I just pluged in my bass and tried to turn my amp on.... well..... when it powered up, all the lights started flickering and some weird crackling sounds came from my head. :bawl: Now it won't power up at all. What do you think may be wrong with my Ampeg SVT 4 Pro? It's probably 2-3 years old, but I've totally babied it and never had any problems with it. :help:

2. ooooerrr?-----------sorry ....not very helpful at all!

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Happy Birthday! Today is my birthday as well! I can't help you with your amp though. That is a bummer. I guess you need to buy yourself an amp for your birthday!

4. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    happy birthday xgabriele! I guess I'll be buying myself an expencive birthday present after all.

5. Surely can't be much if U just turned it on & pffffft!!!!

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I wouldn't have expected that from such an otherwise sweet bass amp. Don't let it ruin your Bday, even if you have to replace it.

7. Why replace?
    Repairs shop will cost you less

8. thats what I'm talkin about!:D

9. Right on! Probably something electrical and simple. Maybe a connection got loose or something. Happy B-day by the way. Today's my wife's B-day too. :bassist:

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Why can't it be my birthday too! :meh: :p

Happy birthday to Sandwich's wife, Gabriele and Cecile. :D

11. it's my sister's birthday

....but she doesn't play bass, it is a sad day:crying:

hahahah i'm kidding, happy birthday, bass buddy!

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    This amp should still be under warranty... (I believe its 5-years)

This is a long shot but, one possibility could be that a shorted speaker cable (or cab) could have simply caused the amps fuse to blow.
    I'd try checking the fuse, (if blown) replace it with the corect one, and unplugging all speaker cables before you try to power it up again.
    If it doesn't blow the fuse and the amp powers up, then plug in the speaker cable, (then the cab) and see if either of these causes the fuse to immediately blow again.