1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What a car!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just found the ultimate sleeper car! It's an older mazda rx-7. But the coolest thing is what's under the hood! It's a CHEVY 350!!! Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. So you gona buy it? It looks like a good deal for 7,500.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah it does. If I had the money I definitely would, but I could really do a lot to both of my vehicles first!

4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    This is not oneupsmanship, but I saw similar thing a few years back. There was a dragstrip near where I grew up. At the strip, I saw a 1986 Dodge Charger (small hatchback, 2.2L 4 cylinder standard). Essentially, everything from the firewall forward had been removed. A half frame had been affixed to the unibody and a 383 had been set on it. There were no wheel wells because there was no room for them.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    sweet! I have been thinking of doing this to my little ford truck. Probably take the engine crosmember and mounts and modify it to fit in my lil ranger. Then bolt in a 305 or 350, with some shorty headers, 700R4 trans, and a different rear end.

6. thats pretty nice, but i would rather take an RX-7 with the B-13 rotary with a single turbo upgrade and other goodies. the power to weight ratio would be much more efficient that way. either way, that is a cool thing. I saw a first generation RX-7 with a 302 in it once. It was pretty cool.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Looks like there is enough room for a 454 in there............ ;)

Trevorus- When youre ready to mount a Chevy engine in a Ford Ranger, check out www.advanceadapters.com , they should have motor mounts etc to help you out.

8. Now that is a car. as opposed to this...

[​IMG]

that is not a car. thats a sandwich.

9. Yes, that is a sandwhich :p

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    thanks mike! I love doing this stuff. I am going to rebuild the top end of the engine that is in there right now, and remove the computer. It's a 2.8 v6 thing. My dad has a ranger that has been out of commission for a while, so if I do switch it over, he can have that engine for his.

Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff!

11. You're telling me.

I've been driving a sandwich to work since march!?! :bawl:

:eyebrow: :D

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm... BTW, My RX7 will keep some form of rotary powerplant.

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Ok, those sandwich posts made me really really laugh hard.

Nice car

14. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    A Ford Ranger? Dude you better shore up the cross members or you will cork-screw that thing!

15. time to pack up the sandwi...er...mule and hit the road. my work here is done. :D

16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

You just had to take it to far. Didn't you? :eyebrow:

17. I'm sorry!!!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :crying: :crying:

18. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Its ok I was only joking.

I am hungry now :bag:

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ahh, it'll be alright. Those frames are tough enough, and it's not like I am going all out with it! probably won't have a cubic inch per 1 hp. Probably just clone my camaro. 305, weiand intake, edelbrock carb... If that lil rx7 can handle that, I KNOW that ranger frame can handle it.

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I always loved small, unassuming looking cars with V8's hidden under the hood. A friend had a Pinto with a 302. Another friend had a Vega with a de-stroked 327 and the transmission and rear end out of a '68 Corvette.

While they had those I had a POS. :rollno:

Life is frequently less than fair.