Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What a car!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just found the ultimate sleeper car! It's an older mazda rx-7. But the coolest thing is what's under the hood! It's a CHEVY 350!!! Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. So you gona buy it? It looks like a good deal for 7,500.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah it does. If I had the money I definitely would, but I could really do a lot to both of my vehicles first!

4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    This is not oneupsmanship, but I saw similar thing a few years back. There was a dragstrip near where I grew up. At the strip, I saw a 1986 Dodge Charger (small hatchback, 2.2L 4 cylinder standard). Essentially, everything from the firewall forward had been removed. A half frame had been affixed to the unibody and a 383 had been set on it. There were no wheel wells because there was no room for them.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    sweet! I have been thinking of doing this to my little ford truck. Probably take the engine crosmember and mounts and modify it to fit in my lil ranger. Then bolt in a 305 or 350, with some shorty headers, 700R4 trans, and a different rear end.

6. thats pretty nice, but i would rather take an RX-7 with the B-13 rotary with a single turbo upgrade and other goodies. the power to weight ratio would be much more efficient that way. either way, that is a cool thing. I saw a first generation RX-7 with a 302 in it once. It was pretty cool.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Looks like there is enough room for a 454 in there............ ;)

Trevorus- When youre ready to mount a Chevy engine in a Ford Ranger, check out www.advanceadapters.com , they should have motor mounts etc to help you out.

8. Now that is a car. as opposed to this...

[​IMG]

that is not a car. thats a sandwich.

9. Yes, that is a sandwhich :p

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    thanks mike! I love doing this stuff. I am going to rebuild the top end of the engine that is in there right now, and remove the computer. It's a 2.8 v6 thing. My dad has a ranger that has been out of commission for a while, so if I do switch it over, he can have that engine for his.

Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff!

11. You're telling me.

I've been driving a sandwich to work since march!?! :bawl:

:eyebrow: :D

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm... BTW, My RX7 will keep some form of rotary powerplant.

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Ok, those sandwich posts made me really really laugh hard.

Nice car

14. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    A Ford Ranger? Dude you better shore up the cross members or you will cork-screw that thing!

15. time to pack up the sandwi...er...mule and hit the road. my work here is done. :D

16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

You just had to take it to far. Didn't you? :eyebrow:

17. I'm sorry!!!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :crying: :crying:

18. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Its ok I was only joking.

I am hungry now :bag:

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ahh, it'll be alright. Those frames are tough enough, and it's not like I am going all out with it! probably won't have a cubic inch per 1 hp. Probably just clone my camaro. 305, weiand intake, edelbrock carb... If that lil rx7 can handle that, I KNOW that ranger frame can handle it.

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I always loved small, unassuming looking cars with V8's hidden under the hood. A friend had a Pinto with a 302. Another friend had a Vega with a de-stroked 327 and the transmission and rear end out of a '68 Corvette.

While they had those I had a POS. :rollno:

Life is frequently less than fair.