Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what a deal for 500 beans !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gdflash, Jan 17, 2003.

1. gdflash

gdflash

Dec 12, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Have been shopping around for an amp for several weeks now, and just stumbled across this deal...

Peavey Foundation 4string
    Laney 75 watt 15" combo amp
    Boss Stereo Chorus pedal
    DOD stereo Flanger
    ...and...
    Ampeg all tube FlipTop 115 combo

all for the incredibly low price of $500...

Hooray!

(so of course I bought it)

any tips on the care and feeding of a vintage ampeg?
    This is my first tube amp. so I am kind of ignorant as to what not to do to it...

2. gdflash

gdflash

Dec 12, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Sorry, but could anyone give me info on the peavey foundation series as well? It says made in USA on the headstock...should I believe it? Or is it like Fords...Made In (central) America ?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am working on one. It sounds great for slap on my rig. Either stock pickups by themselves have a pretty good tone. Overall, for the price, it's really quite great.

4. Peavey only made gear in the USA for a long time,until the last few years actually. The Foundation is probably American made. If not it would say XP or International Series.

5. Take everything...Nice price.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah.. buy all that up.. then you can sell most of of it for a profit... what you decide you don't want to keep of course...

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    On the peavy website, you can get all the specs of their old gear, and the instruction manual. Just do a search on their site. I think its www.peavy.com

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No, it's www.peavey.com.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Dang that is a good deal. The flip top by itself is probably worth more than $500.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Funny, I spelled PEAVEY the same way that you did. And my hyperlink works fine, without the http:// and the ending /.

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I second that....awesome deal my friend. Have the tubes checked out if it's an older unit. Just to be safe.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't get it

13. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Ahhh the vintage amp!:cool:

first of all I would check out the serial number and find out how old it is and how much it might be worth. Get to know a good !*HONEST*! amp guy. Get the tubes checked out and the bias. If you want to keep this amp for a long time then do this every 1 to 2 years.

right off the bat you should get the inputs and the pots checked and cleaned. Also if you notice any scratchy sound when adjusting your tone or volume you know it is that time again to get you pots checked and cleaned.

And lastly get the transformer thoroughly inspected.

The guy I bring my amp to does all the amp work for the reputable music stores around town and he does it for a fair price. Talk about a God send! And he's awsome with tubes!!! These type of guys are great for asking questions too.