What a difference a boil makes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 21, 2005.

1. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I have been thoroughly disguisted with my tone for a while. I just haven't enjoyed it recently. Long story short, I boiled the strings and strung my bass back together and WOW the tone I immediately heard was awesome and that was on a setting I use very infrequently.

This made me realize just how much of a factor strings play in determining the tone of a bass. I have been recently trying to determine how much the body\neck wood contribute to tone. I can hear the difference amp'd, unplugged and when i put my ear directly on the body I can hear the sound of fresh strings (very clearly) vibrating through the body.

Go ahead and boil your strings over easy from time to time. Its definitely a tone saver
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    denatured alcohol soaks work very well, also.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought we were going to be hearing about something that needed to be lanced.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I was wondering why a boil would be mentioned in basses...
  5. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    makes your "basses" sound better
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I meant this kind of boil: [​IMG]
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This forum is for Basses. I am moving this to the Strings forum. We have different forums for a reason.

Boiling the strings weakens them. Soaking them in denatured alcohol does not, and cleans them better than boiling does.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Jeff's got it right....do a search here in strings, there's a few mega threads about string cleaning and common concensus has it that denatured alcohol works the best for a good cleaning.
  9. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    They sound good for a little while, but don't expect them to last much longer. Like putting lipstick on a pig.
  10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

+1. I've always compared that with using rerubbered tires for your car. Incredibly cheap and work fine when "new", but only for a little while. It doesn't worth the hassle of removing, boiling, drying and putting on again IME. Never tried the denatured alcohol, though.