Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What a difference a boil makes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 21, 2005.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I have been thoroughly disguisted with my tone for a while. I just haven't enjoyed it recently. Long story short, I boiled the strings and strung my bass back together and WOW the tone I immediately heard was awesome and that was on a setting I use very infrequently.

This made me realize just how much of a factor strings play in determining the tone of a bass. I have been recently trying to determine how much the body\neck wood contribute to tone. I can hear the difference amp'd, unplugged and when i put my ear directly on the body I can hear the sound of fresh strings (very clearly) vibrating through the body.

Go ahead and boil your strings over easy from time to time. Its definitely a tone saver

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    denatured alcohol soaks work very well, also.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought we were going to be hearing about something that needed to be lanced.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I was wondering why a boil would be mentioned in basses...

5. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    makes your "basses" sound better

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I meant this kind of boil: [​IMG]

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This forum is for Basses. I am moving this to the Strings forum. We have different forums for a reason.

Boiling the strings weakens them. Soaking them in denatured alcohol does not, and cleans them better than boiling does.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

+1

Jeff's got it right....do a search here in strings, there's a few mega threads about string cleaning and common concensus has it that denatured alcohol works the best for a good cleaning.

9. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    They sound good for a little while, but don't expect them to last much longer. Like putting lipstick on a pig.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

+1. I've always compared that with using rerubbered tires for your car. Incredibly cheap and work fine when "new", but only for a little while. It doesn't worth the hassle of removing, boiling, drying and putting on again IME. Never tried the denatured alcohol, though.