1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What a difference a pickup makes!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've actually tried a lot of P pups, but now I'm venturing into the J's. Got an Essex fretless, and after playing it a little while, I really found the sound to be pretty unremarkable. I was getting some mwah, but not the sound I really wanted. Fortunately, I had a Duncan SJB-1b pickup here from a previous project (in basically new condition), so I wired it in, not worrying about the neck pup. I am thrilled with the sound. The mwah is much better, the clickiness is gone, and it has that horn-like swell I was looking for. No question that I'll match it up with an SJB-1n soon. I was close to getting rid of this bass, but no more. :hyper:

So I'm pretty much a Duncan fan. My Precision didn't have the original pickup when I got it, and it has a Duncan, now this bass is going to have Duncans.

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What's your take on the different P-pups that you have tried?

3. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, first here's a link to a fairly in-depth review I posted at Harmony-Central.

Secondly, I like the Duncan SPB-1 a lot. Like a whole lot. I haven't tried Fralins, and it's been long enough since I tried an Antiquity that I can't tell you much about it. The short story is that I thought the Bartolini sounded like a Bartolini, I liked the DiMarzio Model P, I like the EMG though I don't currently need what it offers, and I didn't like the Hot or Quarter Pound all that much after a while.

But read the review and see what you think.