Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What a difference a pickup makes!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've actually tried a lot of P pups, but now I'm venturing into the J's. Got an Essex fretless, and after playing it a little while, I really found the sound to be pretty unremarkable. I was getting some mwah, but not the sound I really wanted. Fortunately, I had a Duncan SJB-1b pickup here from a previous project (in basically new condition), so I wired it in, not worrying about the neck pup. I am thrilled with the sound. The mwah is much better, the clickiness is gone, and it has that horn-like swell I was looking for. No question that I'll match it up with an SJB-1n soon. I was close to getting rid of this bass, but no more. :hyper:

So I'm pretty much a Duncan fan. My Precision didn't have the original pickup when I got it, and it has a Duncan, now this bass is going to have Duncans.

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What's your take on the different P-pups that you have tried?

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, first here's a link to a fairly in-depth review I posted at Harmony-Central.

Secondly, I like the Duncan SPB-1 a lot. Like a whole lot. I haven't tried Fralins, and it's been long enough since I tried an Antiquity that I can't tell you much about it. The short story is that I thought the Bartolini sounded like a Bartolini, I liked the DiMarzio Model P, I like the EMG though I don't currently need what it offers, and I didn't like the Hot or Quarter Pound all that much after a while.

But read the review and see what you think.