1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What A Find!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alembic86, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Alembic86

Alembic86

Feb 19, 2008
    Argyle, TX
    I recently was able to purchase what I believe is a 1971 Ampeg SVT blue-line amp (the serial number is unclear). What I found out later is that it's former owner was none other than Rachel Bolan from Skid Row. The seller was nice enough to take a picture of Rachel and the amp for me, and Rachel was gracious enough to autograph the ATA case just before it was shipped.

Received it from Fed-Ex today and it looks like the real deal. The case has storage stickers that say Skid Row on it. The amp itself has a 3-prong cord, a different fan, and some replaced caps. The seller included the original (replaced) parts with the shipment. It looks like it has been ridden hard, but when I fired it up...greatness.

I have included a couple of pics, one of the amp with Rachel and another of the autograph. Is this great or what?

Attached Files:

2. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Congrats. Brings back some SVT memories. Just wish I could still lift one without being in agony the next day.;)

Rezdog

3. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Sick! I'm assuming you didn't pay too much?

4. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i saw it on ebay . nice price and the bonus of who owned it , what was recorded with it and where it has gone is only a plus ... just think , that may be the very amp used in the studio on "youth gone wild" and "18 and life" ..... killer !!!!

5. Alembic86

Alembic86

Feb 19, 2008
    Argyle, TX
    Actually, not. About 60% of what I've seen some non blue-line SVT amps go for. And less than many USA SVT-CLs go for too. When you consider the history of where it came from AND the serious flight case it came with, it really was a find.

It is also some kind of LOUD. I'm playing it with a (pretty new) SVT 610-HLF -- it almost knocks me down on 2 and rattles the windows at about 3 1/2.

On the downside, a bit more hummmmmm than the solid-states I'm used to, but of course that disappears when the strings vibrate and the TONE is more than worth it. Off to rattle the windows again some more. :D

6. Alembic86

Alembic86

Feb 19, 2008
    Argyle, TX
    Thanks...I was checking out you tube, and I think I saw it (or one like it) on the "I Remember You" video.

7. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Yeah I keep hearing that tube amps are LOUD. Next trip to GC I'm going to crank one up. I still don't get it though!

8. Alembic86

Alembic86

Feb 19, 2008
    Argyle, TX
    Well...I've heard tales that with an SVT and an 8x10 cabinet that bass players have won bar bets by blowing beer bottles off tables. While that sounds a bit far fetched if anything could... :cool:

9. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Good score! I just picked up an old SVT myself and could'nt be happier with the sound. They really arent that loud though. I mean SVTs are loud but Ive had louder amps. They just dont sound as good. The beer bottle tales are total bs ;)