Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What a freakin' hack.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The bolded parts are them... the regular parts are me. e-mails exchanged.

Our bassist moved to SoCal. We want to play Zappa, Allman Bros, Miles
    Davis, Funky James Brown/Tower of Power and original space jams, blues,
    slide stuff. No vocals all instrumental. Have guitar and drums.

Sounds good... I'm white so my funk is a little rusty ;-)

I had a guy respond to me a couple weeks back about a paying gig...
    but I couldn't take it... here's why:

I'm 17 with one year left in high school.

So if that isn't a problema, I'm cool to jam most nights, and always
    monday and friday.

17 doesn't matter. I play with my 17 year old son. What gear do you
    have? Fretted or fretless? Do you play acoustic bass?

Who are your favorite bassists ? Who are your top three favorite bands?

Ah. Good.

I have 3 barses... A 5-string G&l, 4-banger peavey G bass, and a
    Squier P-Barse that I ripped the frets out of...

Favorite bassists? Bernard Edwards (Chic) Geezer Butler (Black
    Sabbath) Caleb from Mento Buru has influenced me a lot because he was
    my first and only teacher. Mike Dirnt, Mark Hoppus, Justin Chancellor,
    Michael Anthony, Flea, Wooten, Les Claypool, Mcartney... its all good

Top 3 bands? hrm... System of a Down, Black Sabbath, and Sum41. But
    I've been known to rock out to Enya, Garth Brooks, 311, and a few
    others totally opposite from my "favorites"

Sorry Mike. We like different kinds of music.

Good luck with the bass.

So... No jammin' cause we listen to different stuff? I like all kinds
    of stuff... I love playing all kinds of stuff. To me, playing is
    playing. I can play all sorts of stuff. Liberty's concert band lacked
    tubas last year, so I was covering tuba parts on bass. That with Jazz
    band and marching band has exposed me to all sorts of stuff.

If you are worried about me being a "chuggida chuggida" playin' metal
    head, dont worry. Its not me.

It's not about jamming. It's about having certain kinds of music in
    your ears, head and heart.

Ya... have fun with that.

-----------------------

Turd sandwich.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You're too good for them.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I listen to system of a down constantly, but do the brown eyed girl, margaritaville, and other assorted stuff gladly every weekend. The stuff I enjoy listening to, and what I enjoy playing (basically whatever gets the crowd response) are worlds different.

I don't see the problem, but it is apparent this guy is the "boss" of the band, and will be a problem anyway.

Toad

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I would not be too insulted by a response like that. These guys may have a history of playing with musicians that have not been "like minded" style wise, with less than positive results. I would be more concerned with playing in a band that plans on doing all instrumental cover tunes, it could be fun but gigs would be far and few between.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Alot of gigs you are not going to get. Most of 'em you don't want.

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Well, he listed influences in Jazz, Funk, and Classic rock. You listed just about the opposite, so don't take it personally, you guys probably aren't on the same page musically and this kind of filtering keeps you from having to drive over there and find out. Plus, you mentioned Mark Hoppus to a guy who wants to play Miles Davis?

The point above is very good also. Don't worry about rejections from people you've never heard music from, the majority of people posting ads for musicians online are average players at best.

7. Yeah... forget those guys! I listen to hiphop, rock, metal, blues, classic rock, funk and bluegrass to name just a few. My playing styles are just as diverse. That guy is a tool and I bet that if you did start playing with them you appearance and demeanor would be next. Now you drive the wrong kind of car, etc... etc...

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Leave that out next time.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1 :D

The music they want to play:

Old-school funk, fusion, blues, jam-band stuff

You listed 1 reference that could fit in with any of that, and 1 *maybe* (Wooten for fusion/jam band, Claypool maybe for jam band)

The bands they listed:

Zappa, Allman Bros, Miles Davis, James Brown Tower of Power

The bands you listed:

System of a Down, Black Sabbath, Sum41

...so...yeah. Are you still surprised enough to call him a hack?

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I think I made it clear I like everything... They asked me what MY favorites were... and I told them. They weren't like "hey, do you like blah blah blah".

if they had asked if i liked specific people, then it would be a whole different situation.

11. Well , the probaly saw one band they didnt like in your favorites and decided you werent up to their caliber. Snobs

12. Whatever...

It's pretty clear you guys are different neighborhoods in the same basic zip code. If they said "yeah, let's do this," in a month or two you'd be bitching about how boring they are and hate all the music they're doing.

No one's the weenie, the guy was smart enough to cut it off before the trouble began.

14. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    OP:

At least the fellow emailed you back. He didn't appear condescending to me either. Move on.

15. People can often play anything well. But there's a little extra something added when you're playing your favorite kind of music. If these guys are serious, and they've got 50 bassists to weed through, they're not going to audition everybody. They're looking for 1 guy. They're going to go with the odds. Somebody into Garth, heavy metal, only 17, is not likely to be in the top 10. You may be able to "play" the stuff they're doing, but just playing it isn't enough. You have to be able to do it with the right feel. That "Feel" comes from listening to and playing the genre you want to do extensively.

Something simple like country can be faked pretty easily if you're not into it. Miles Davis cannot, Tower of Power cannot. Requires much more technical expertise to play at all, and very difficult to play without sounding like you're struggling to get through it, or sounding stiff instead of grooving.

Or they're just looking for experienced players.

Randy

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    +1

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Another +1 to that.

The bands and 90% of the players you listed are completely removed from the music this guy wanted to play. Seriously, if the guy says Miles Davis and you say Sum 41, do you really expect the band leader is going to think twice about axing you from the list? I sure wouldn't.

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I like Sum41. I better not tell my band. :bag:

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  19. I think you recieved a serious, respectful, and professional reply to your inquiry. :cool:

The band leader merely felt that you weren't the right person for the position. It wasn't personal. Try to keep your ego out of it. He didn't disrespect you based on your age, musical influences, gear, or any thing else. He treated you as one one professional would treat another. Unfortunately the answer wasn't the one you were hoping for.

If possible, it would be in your best interest to keep in touch with these folks from time to time, you never know what can happen. If you respond as a professional it could posibly lead to a referal for another group, possibly more in line with your influences. :smug:

......Jim

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Keep looking. The folks you really want to work with, will generally want to work with you. Forget the rest.