What a good leave on forever flat string than for a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bunky, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    I have a stingray special that is a pretty bright stingray, not as much low end as a friends stingray. I want to put flats on it - something I won’t have to take off. Any suggestions?

Wolfhound32 and eee like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Nothing better than GHS black tapewounds.
    (Some people will tell you to go with Ernie Ball flatwounds, but they're questionable.)

sonojono, Crispus and MattZilla like this.
  3. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    Why those ones?

Lenny JG and jd56hawk like this.
  4. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    I had cobalt flats on my 4hh special and it was heaven. I have since sold that bass but still have the strings. I heard they can rust or be corrosive so I don’t think I will ever use them again. Not sure if that’s true but I read it on tb forum so it must be true.

5. I had D'Addario Chromes on my StingRay for about 4 years until they literally disintegrated at the machine post and fell off. It's a good sound for a Stingray. The first Stingrays shipped with flats so there is definitely a strong traditional connection there. I may go back to them at some point but I'm fine with rounds at the moment. Flats open up certain doors for a StingRay and close others. You'll love them for Motown stuff and old time disco, but for hard rock you might find them a bit too polite and nondescript. It nudges the StingRay more into P bass territory.

The only trouble I had with the Chromes was that in the original set I bought a couple of the strings had areas that were rough to the touch. When you're committing to a string for that much time you don't want any imperfections like that. So I ended up having to buy individual strings to replace them. Some of those individual ones even had rough spots. It took some time to get 4 that were perfectly smooth.

I'm curious about your bass having less low end than a friend's. Are they the exact same model of Stingray? There are basically 3 different preamps that EBMM have put in Stingrays: the original 2 band, the original 3 band, and the new revoiced 3 band that comes in the Specials. They all sound different, especially in the lows and highs. Maybe that's the reason?

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    GHS precision flats if you want a deep thump. Chromes if you want a little more "modern" tone.

Paul New, Merlo79, Pimmsley and 9 others like this.
  7. Before a brand can be recommended, what is your preference as far as tension goes? If you like higher tension, then I have found Chromes and EB Cobalts to be great strings. LaBella DTFs are the classic thump sound. I've got Chromes in rotation that are many years old. Probably 8 or so.

As far as lower tension strings. IME nothing yet beats TI Jazz flats. If you don't plan to ever change them, then it is money well spent. I love the tone of light gauge Sadowsky flats but the tapered B string on my 5 throws then tone off on that string, but not an issue on 4 stringers. The next flat I plan on trying are the LaBella Low Tension flats, but I am in no hurry.

In any case, a brighter string is easier to make darker than the other way round..

8. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    I suggest the Cobalt flats too. They’re a good hybrid string that has the round qualities but a little toned down in a flat feel.

9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    TI Flats
    Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats

10. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Strings are really just the icing on the cake. That low end comes from touch and EQ. Could also be that your cab/amp needs more wattage, sub/lows eat up lots of power.

I use a stingray special as well and I don’t think I could get more low end out of anything, maybe just a smidge more out of the Bongo but barely

Spectre Gunner likes this.
  11. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    It's not true, Mr. Rumorspreader. I've had many sets of EB Cobalt flats and never had the slightest problem.

Turn up the bass knob, turn down the treble knob. :smug:

Strung_Low, happygilmour and Bunky like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I’d try just whatever. If you’re going to squelch out the uniqueness of a Stingray with flats that will be on forever just whatever is cheapest, it’s not a question of tone anymore.

13. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    I dunno much about tension. I have ti flats on my Rick which I love, but thought something a little brighter would be better on the Ray.

my friend has a rosewood neck, I have a newer special .

14. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    Don’t call me any of your wives pet names. Just because you have not had the issue doesn’t mean others have not had the issue and posted about it on this forum. I myself have not had an issue but because the people who claim this are reputable long time members I heed to their words rather than someone like you who has nothing to offer except lame insults

Hypercaffium, RocknRay and jd56hawk like this.
  15. happygilmour

happygilmour Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Wilbraham, MA
    The people or the strings? LOL

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I had markbass flats on mine, best ever.

17. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I like the flats that Bernard Edwards used, which unfortunately are no longer available. Sometimes you can get nos ones online.

IMG_20181230_133723.jpg

18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've tried plenty of flatwounds, including the $75 ones so many people rave about.
    To me, the GHS strings are better in more ways than one...smoother, more aggressive when necessary, and they look so damned good, especially if you have a maple fretboard.
    No need to mention the tension, right?
    I have them on five of ten baases, but I do use D'Addario black tapewounds on my Dean Exotica acoustic basses.
    Photo-Collage-20210618-220714048.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  19. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

May 23, 2012
    Harrisburg PA
    Never had a Stingray but I have Fender 9050 flats on both my Fender's. They are really similar to Chromes, but I find them more smooth and consistent than Chromes. As a user above mentioned sometimes the windings on Chromes are rough and there are gaps. Not so with Fender 9050s.

Jughead6, bobyoung53 and Aqualung60 like this.
  20. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

May 23, 2012
    Harrisburg PA
    I find the Fender 9050s are very close to Chromes, but I like them better, and I had the same experience as you with the rough inconsistent windings on the Chromes. With the Fender's I found them to have everything the Chromes had and more without the rough issues.

Aqualung60 and IronLung1986 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021