Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What a great sounding Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu Rose, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Greetings,

What's a great sounding Combo for practice and small jams or gigs that can handle a 5 string?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Yorkville? Eden? SWR? Ampeg, whatever your taste/budget.

3. +1 for Eden CXC - I was looking quite for a while for a small combo - and the Eden cxc110 was the winner in my case (it handles low B very well)

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I like Trace SMX series 1x15 combos myself, have put 5ers and 6ers through them without them breaking into a sweat.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Ampeg B-100R :bassist:

6. Kevdel

Kevdel Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Maryland
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout

7. If you can, you might want to stay above 75 or 100 watts, or you'll find yourself upgrading soon if the 15 - 50's don't cut it after a while. Especially at the "jams"...

Buy it now and save scrambling for something better in the future when the need arises.

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Epifani UL-112 Combo! :bassist: Expensive, but sick tone. . .
    [​IMG]

9. Greetings

I've been using the Hartke 12 kickback for about 5-6 yrs and it's good. When I bought it I a/b against the swr12 workingman and a fender I don't remenber the model and the Hartke kicked them both IMO.

Now I want something small yet more High End sound.

My main rig is a Eden wt400 & a schroeder 1210 they both kill.
    I use a Lull vintage Jazz mainly.

10. I'll look into it thanks

11. CXC-110+CX-110. Little, loud, light. At the high end of my moderate budget, but SOOOOO worth it. :bassist: <---Double-thumbing the low B, with clarity. UNNNHHH.

12. I just saw that you have used a KB-12; I have one, too, & the CXC-110 is about the same size, but more manageable somehow as well as having more power, more cab options, better DI, etc, etc...
    I just found it interesting as that(the Hartke)'s what I was trying to replace, more or less.

13. That's a coincidense I'd say.

How the B string sound on the Eden?

BTW the KB-12 is a very good amp in that price range, I used the heck out of mine and it keeps on going.

14. I'm very happy w/the B through the Eden. It(the CXC-110)'s good alone, but much better w/the extension cab. I've had it up pretty loud(3/4 on gain & master), beating on the bass fairly hard w/no ugliness, IMO. Mind you, to me the Hartke is borderline passable in most of my experiences- I just wanted something aprox. the same size w/better features & power. This is definitely it :hyper: for me!

15. Sounds good thanks

16. I would recomment the Yorkville combos (210 or 115). I've got the 115 and it's great. Haven't played the 210 but I've heard it's good.

17. +1 on Yorkville, I have the XS400T (2X10 combo) for the price you cant beat it, it handles the low B great, only drawback is that it's a bit on the heavy side....