Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What A Joke!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Half-fast, May 14, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well it says its for a charity:

" The proceeds from this sale will provide financial support for a school for Masai children in Kenya near the Masai Mara and provide shoes for the children as well. A signed photo from the school children will be provided to the winner shortly after the funds reach the school. Bid high! It's for a good cause. "

What's wrong with that? :confused:

2. Oops! Didn't read the charity part! My bad.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    guys, I'm selling my shoestrings for 20 grand. Doesn't really matter what the actual value is because, after all, it's going to a good cause!

There is a small town in Kansas which is lightly populated by shoeless children. They need shoes. I need your money for their shoes.

I won't give you any specifics on how to verify the validity of my charity, but I will give you the chance to "Buy it Now" for an unreasonable price, all in the name of charity!

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It could be a scam... or it could be real. I don't have that kind of bread to give away, so I am not looking into it.

But in any case, the idea of selling a bass for more that its worth to give to charity is not a new idea or a bad one.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hey - call me a skeptic. :D

Or, for that matter, call me a serious detractor of cheesey "reality TV"!

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If I was actually in a position to give to this charity, I would be sceptical too. It's a whole new ballgame when you actually start thinking about putting cash into it. ;)

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I will let other people give to charity in such high amounts. If I see a dude with a bucket and a bell or something along those lines on the street or something, I give them every cent of my change that I have with me. Going to charity, and frees up my wallet of unnecessary bulk. Usually I won't carry in excess of $5 in change, but every bit will help.

8. I would buy some unedited video of the naked survivor girls. BUT ONLY IF THE PROCEEDS WERE GOING TO A GOOD CAUSE! :p

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Now that's funny!!!

Why would I want a bass with nonmusicians' autographs. I would rather just give the money, if I had it, rather than cludder up my closet with a useless guitar with peoples' names no one will remember two weeks from now.

Did I say two weeks? I don't know them now.