Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what a lesson to learn......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Sep 19, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    well i was planning on moving up and onward by investing in a new bass setup-

-i spent 300 on a mahogany body from warmoth
    -300 total on 2 emg DCs and their bass/treble/mid+freq pre amp

i slap my pbass neck on to the new p body, spend a few minutes and just install the bridge pickup with passive tone(9volts). sounds great kind of sting ray like....
    THEN
    i spend two days hooking up 2 pickups and the preamp(18volts) plug it in play with the knobs; and go through the immediate realization that, i dont care for active pre amps, I just pick a tone and set it- and now i dont like the feel of a pbass.

WHAT I LEARNED FOR $600, i shouldnt have bought the pre amp, i only needed one pickup, i dont care for the tone of mahogany...... and now i want a walnut jazz bass(which will be another $400).

Just thought id share.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you need ebay's address? :D

You never really know what you want until you know what you really don't want

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Knowing what you want for the most part IS knowing what you dont want. I thought everybody knew that mahogany sux for bass;)

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

How can you pick a winner when there are no losers? :confused: :D

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Life lesson there, my friend.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    not to rub salt into open wounds, but thats why you should never buy a bass unless you can play it 1st. thats imo of course and many will disagree.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Ain't it the truth!!!:)

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I hardly think that EVERYONE would agree with YOUR opinion. I happen to think that mahogany is great for basses. ;)

9. quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by ThunderStik
    I thought everybody knew that mahogany sux for bass
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    I hardly think that EVERYONE would agree with YOUR opinion. I happen to think that mahogany is great for basses.

Thanx Deynn for your vote of confidence, i was beginning to think that my mahogany bass sucked, and i did not know it.
    eddie:rolleyes:

10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    As we all know sound is subjective and imo i think mahogany is not the best of woods for basses. There are many things that we all get to learn the hard way, something may sound great by itself but when its put with a band it may sound very different and undesirable. I feel this way about peavey amps but its just me and my opinion . Like the old saying "One mans trash another mans treasure.I didnt mean to offend.

11. quote: by ThunderStik

. I feel this way about peavey amps but its just me and my opinion . Like the old saying "One mans trash another mans treasure.I didnt mean to offend.

oh.... now you are bashing my peavey amp too, I must have the worst setup in the world, a mahogany bass and peavey amp.......:D :D :D

no offence taken there thunderstik...:D :D