What a load of crap

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Sep 12, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    An agent with whom we don't normally deal with rang us on the sunday after we had played at what was litterally opposite ends of the country (from the northern Ireland boarder on friday to the very south west on saturday then to dublin on the centre east coast that same night after the satuday gig to sleep. Which was a huge amount of driving done.

We were haggling with the agent over the price due to the fact that we had done serious traveling done and to keep our price at more or less a constant. But then eventually came to an agreement between him my band and the manager of the venue. So we drive another hour and a half to the venue and start to set up.

As we setup our singer gets a call from the venue owner saying that there was no way he was going to pay the agreed price for the band. Claiming that we were a local band. Our singer and guitarist were born near the area but no longer live there. Both living an hour and half drive away as well myself who also lives an hour and a half away and our drummer lives 2 and a half hours away. We had played in towns around the area whilst we were getting established but now we play the length and breadth of this country and the agreed price was the only price that would of made the trip worth while for the band.

The owner decides that he will only pay us just over half the agreed price. We were fuming! We had driven all that way to have the owner step in on agreements that were made by his staff. Plus we were doing him a favour as we were charging less than our usual price and the band that were supposed to be playing cancelled suddenly.

He says that we were a local band (obvioulsy not) that a band who only came fifth in a competition held there shouldn't get that money. (we had entered a comp there previoulsy in which I could complain about the fairness and quality of judging but anyways). He said a band had to prove themselves before asking that kind of money. When asked why he didn't sort this out when the booking had been made. He said he thought we were a new band and obviolsy a different. To which our singer replied "I thought a band had to prove themselves first" He then simply hung up on us. He was obvioulsy full of *"£$.

We were considering that we might have to do the gig anyway since the drummer was more of a hired gun than a band memeber. But we decided that pride was two important and we would be undercutting our own price. Unfortunatley we would have to compensate the drummer out of our own pocket but I think that we made the right decision. To just walk back in and pack up the gear. No dough no show.

We wanted to tell him we would do the gig go and finish setting up and to play for a solid 15/20 mins of a two hour gig. Then simply announce that we weren't being paid an agreed price, pack up and leave (obviously with nothing in our hands but the fact that we taught him a serious lesson on screwing the band over and backing out of agreements) Unfortunately our actual management(although initially all for doing that) decided that it would be best not to tarnish our name in that area and we would soon be playing a nicer venue down the road.

Still we made the right decision inspite of everyone being inconvenienced. Would of love to played the 20 mins.
  2. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Damn, that really sucks, you did the right thing, IMO.

Who is this guy? Is he in dublin? I'd like to know to be wary of dealings with him.