1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What a machine...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wraub, Jan 5, 2017.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
  2. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    OH BABY!!

I'm not really a car guy either.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Does the "you're not allowed to say it's ugly unless you own it" rule apply to cars too?

4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Nice! I never seen one before.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ergonomically designed to deflect and rocket bird poop onto the vehicle behind you when it hits your car.

6. Stewie26

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have a friend who looks like a Hollywood movie star. He married a gal who looks like she got hit by a truck IMO.
    With that said, he introduces her as his beautiful wife, Sally.
    You never know. Anyway, I like the design.

Mktrat and shadowtippy like this.
  7. Car or wife?

Gravedigger Dav and Stewie26 like this.
  8. Stewie26

^^^Car^^^

shadowtippy likes this.
  9. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado

fhm555, zontar and ahc like this.
  10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    There is a lot to like about that car, but I would tweak it a little.
    I think the passenger cabin is a little too far forward and the front end sits just a bit high.

But I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers...

11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Aesthetics aside (which are definitely very subjective), I thought the fact that it was largely built by one guy over a 2 year period was interesting.

From the link: "The body was nod to the German GP cars which at the time mimicked aeronautical practice. Norm’s design was free of the over indulgences such as huge chrome bumpers and large tail fins that eventually dominated American design. The streamliner’s chic elegance was a rarity in America, even if was outdated by post-war standards.

Today, the cars’s smooth shape is still as pleasing to the eye as it was in 1948. The body is long and low with a complete underbelly panel. With the engine occupying the rear of the chassis, the cockpit is pushed forward much like the Auto Union Typ D. In keeping with the aerofoil shape, no doors are cut out of the body. A large one-piece rear panel opens hydraulically to reveal the entire rear end of the chassis.

The car was based around a 1947 Buick “Super 8” engine which powered the 2200 lb car to 120 mph. The main chassis was built up from five-inch steel tubes which kicked up over the rear axle. To offer a smooth ride, a modified 1947 Ford suspension was utilized."

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't forget, this was a one-off custom job - some rich guy's idea of a unique vehicle, just like the prototypes we see at car shows. Present value of what it COST him to build it is about $110,000.

13. I like your friend!

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Looks like it would be a real pita to work on.

15. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    That was a very advanced design for the times. This is what a 1948 Buick looked like.

1948%20Buick_zpsa6zzfiqa.

mrb327, Tbone76 and MEKer like this.
  16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    huh wha? In that case, I decree it beautiful! I want one!

17. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Well you would be the first kid on your block to have one. Its weird............I like it

18. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    the car up there looks like it woudl fit right into that cartoon--and my first thought was the designer was influenced by cartoon cars...

19. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    hmmm...something vaguely obscene there....

D M C and Gaolee like this.
  20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    THAT is worthy of being put on a poster!
    What would ya call it? Retro-Modern?

Hmm..lemme see...girlfriend or car?......girlfriend or car?.... wait a second, what am I? Stupid?
    ANSWER IS OBVIOUS!