1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What a pickle....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by walkbassman45, Mar 8, 2008.

1. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    In November I took my Fender Custom Shop Jazz bass in for a set up because I was just too busy. Told the neck was bad and it was being sent back to the custom shop. When January rolled around I asked where the bass was. After apologies from the dealer and Fender, they said it fell through the cracks because of the holidays it was finally sent to Fender. Feb. rolls around and I decide to pay a visit to the dealer. They're sits my bass that Fender overnighted to the dealer.Only problem is that it has the same bad neck on it and this time there is a hump around the 15th fret . We just stood there like what the....Now the owner of the store gets in touch with Fender and they said send it back. In the mean time I get in touch with Fender customer service and they were all apologies.They said that the next neck would be mine.
    It is now March and I don't know what else to do. I'm trying to keep my cool but this is messed up and even the dealer is like wow what a mess. I tell him that it would be nice to be able to play my bass. Any ideas on what to do next? This is really the way it's going down. I've kept all emails and correspondence.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you dealing directly with the Custom shop for this? Did you buy the bass new? From this shop?

It sucks, but if it's a second hand bass, I wouldn't know what to tell you.

3. walkbassman45

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    Yes, the bass was bought new from this dealer. They are a authorized Fender Custom Shop Dealer. I have been in touch with Fender Customer Service and both them and the dealer have been backing up what the other is saying so there is no one blaming the other. I just don't have my bass after almost 4 months of waiting just for a neck repair. I don't know what else to do.

4. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    not much else you can do.... :meh:

maybe buy a new bass in the meantime? ;)

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Are you dealing with some one at Fender other than some one in customer service?

6. walkbassman45

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    I have another bass, a Washburn AB 34 but thats not the issue, I paid $2100 for a bass to play. If there are issues with Fenders 2100.00 basses then they should say buy it but don't play it and if theres a problem with it don't expect us to do anything about it. Now back too the original question, is their anything else I could do so this doesn't turn into 5 months of no guitar?

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Were it me, I would call them DAILY for a status. Demand to talk to someone other than the person who answers the phone, get their name and only talk to that one person. Keep in frequent contact with your dealer so they can help keep the pressure on as well.

You have to make it so they will get their a$s in gear just so you quit nagging them.

8. 23travis

23travis

Sep 11, 2007
    Vegas, Baby!
    What he said^^

Next time you call Customer Service, I'd ask if I could speak to someone "in the shop". They'll probably transfer you to a supervisor of some sort who can answer your problem better. When I had to deal with a computer interface problem, I simply had to get past customer service and talk to someone who knew what was going on.

9. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    just remember,,

it's always the squeaky wheel that gets the grease

call em twice a day

10. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    As others have suggested call and ask to talk to the person above whoever answers the phone. If the next person can't satisfy you go further up. Keep asking to talk to someone further up the management chain until you get someone who can take responsibility and will make sure you get your bass and some compensation for your time lost.

Also send email and snail mail to the president or chairman of the company fully explaining the situation and the ridiculous fashion in which it has been handled. This may seem like too much effort, but it's amazing the results one often gets, by registering complaints with the guys who sit at the top.

11. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Ask the dealer for a loaner. It sounds like they screwed up plenty.

The only other real option is patience.

12. walkbassman45

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    Well, I guess I'll just start calling them everyday.This morning I wrote letters to the CEO and COO of Fender.You know I have played a Fender bass for over twenty years and this is just offensive.The one time I would like Fender too take care of a problem and they treat me like this.This isn't just a dealer screw up but a Fender one too. I have looked at the communications between the dealer and Fender starting in November, Fender is dropping the ball.

13. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Looks like it's SX time for you..... :crying:

14. walkbassman45

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    What's SX time ?

15. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
  16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Sorry to hear about your problems man, definately get on calling them daily, asking for a loaner would also be something smart to do.

Just a side note, but this thread is the perfect answer to all those "Why buy a Sadowsky/valenti/lull/nash/etc. if its just a copy of a fender" threads.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    If I were you, once the bass comes back, it would go on ebay faster than a kid from Queens can say four-letter-words.

Then, I'd get either a Metro, a Lakland, or a Valenti, and NEVER look back.

18. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Hope things work out for you with a new neck.

As for squeaky wheels, The Squeaky wheel gets REPLACED...

19. Demand a loaner until you get yours back.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Are you dealing with some one at Fender other than some one in customer service?