Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHat a predicament! Should I sell my Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Dec 24, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I bought a brand new Stingray two months ago. Its my dream bass. Trans. Teal/Rosewood. I came across a GK 2001RB head, used for $750. This is the head I've been wanting to get for quite a few months now, and they're rare to find, especially used. I don't know what to do! Should I sell my Stingray and buy the GK or should I wait until I can afford a new 2001RB, which won't be likely until Spring? This is perhaps my only chance to buy this head, and I could always buy another Stingray, as I have my Modded MIM Jazz to keep me company until then.

~Patrick

2. In my amature opinion, I would keep the Ray.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Get a credit card.

4. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Sell your car. ;)

Sell your Jazz and some plasma.

Sell some slippers on EBAY...

Ebay Link

Just don't sell the stingray!

Just my opinion,
    Chris

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    You said: "should i sell my stingray"
    I heard: "should i sell my soul"

the choice here is clear, DO NOT SELL THE STINGRAY. Amps come and go and people treat them like poop. A good bass has a soul and will last you a lifetime if you treat it correctly, especially as cool a bass as a stingray.

6. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You'll definitely be able to find another amp when you have the money, but you might not be able to find another bass that feels and sounds like the one you have.

Keep the bass!

- Cowboy

7. you finally have your dream bass...and you're reaching for more......in my opinion, if you're living at home, ask a relative to put it on their card and pay 'em back....either that or wait till spring when you have enough money to get the head, so that you will have both your SR and head..

besides, if you sell your SR now, you'll lose money..you know because of deppreciation b\s and stuff like that.

8. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Selling your bass is like selling your woman.You just don't do it!Wait and save up for an amp later,they are a dime a dozen.;) :D

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    OK, I'm actually considering the credit card thing. The only thing I don't understand is all the interests, fees and such. I just turned 18, so can anyone help me understand this?

Yeah, I'm likely to keep the Stingray, but GK 2001RB for $750 is a deal. They go for $1399 on Musicians Friend. I know I could get at least $9000 for my Ray.

~Patrick

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Was that a typo? No matter, never sell your heart, it'll haunt you.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Wow you are gassing a lot today! ;) I would keep the Ray if it were my dream bass. Who knows maybe you will find an amp that you want more.

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah, that was a typo. $900. Its like new.

I know the GK is what I want. I've tried everything and know whats for me.

But yeah, I'm always GASing for new stuff. You should hear some of the crazy ideas I got.

~Patrick

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    keep the bass. every one I ever sold, I wound up missing.

14. I've bought and sold quite a few basses and amps, and I've found that it's much more difficult to find basses that are "keepers" than it is to find amps. This particular 2001RB will almost exactly the same as any other 2001RB that you come across in the future. The same can't be necessarily said of the Stingray.

15. jdub2

jdub2

Jul 30, 2003
    alright, here's the responsible adult speaking. Do not, do not, do not, do not get a credit card and buy the amp. The interest you will pay on the amp is ridiculous. Never buy on credit something you don't have the cash to pay for that month. You will eventually wind up $10,000 in debt, wondering how you will pay for everything, struggling just to make the minimum monthly payment. Good luck getting credit then, when you really need it. I've had too many friends do that.

Ok, rant over.

I'd keep the Ray and save your money until you can afford the amp.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Keep the 'Ray. As you mature, you will realize that GK pretty much sucks anyway, and Stingrays suck less (see my signature).

Credit cards are not a good way to borrow money. In this economy, you can buy a house at 6% interest or a car at 0% interest. Credit cards are averaging about 13% interest right now, much higher if you have no credit history. That is what you call a rip. Borrow the money from your dad, or sell a sibling.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont sell the Stingray!!!!!!!!

18. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Ya know, some mature adults actually like Gallien-Krueger amps.

But ditto the credit card thing. BAD IDEA.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh yeah? Name one.