Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What a Score.....I Think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Well, my nan visted today, she's an auction junkie, we only just showed her ebay :p but she went to some auction this morning and bought a 'mystery box' about the size of a chest of drawers, and while we were going through it we stumbled accross a....a....a....a...precision bass body :eek: , its not fender, as far as i can tell (99% sure it isnt) , nice brass bridge on it, large and chunky, pickup works, plugged it in and put it near the strings on my kubicki (as i dont have a spare neck lying around :p ) but it did have some stickers on it, they were ripped off and some of the glue stayed on and now theirs just clumps of dirt there :rolleyes: and there's a few chips of paint missing, cant really tell what the wood/s are, might just be plywood, its nice and heavy, but im now thinking of buying a neck and a set of j style pups and addin them to this..possibly another split coil having it a bootsy style creation :p

pic

2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Thats great!!!

Kinda looks like Plywood.

3. i thought plywood was real light though?..its about as heavy as my kubicki, maybe a tad bit lighter

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yeah Got a point there.

Have opend the pick-gurd up yet?
    What chould be inside........

5. just opened it up...no markings on the pups....the color used to be artic white :p its yellowed up a bit....sheilding tape over the control cavity, routed all the way from the pup to the jack...the pots are both 500k and have a symbol that looks like JP inside a square

6. I had a plywood pbass body once and it looks exactly like your's does on the sides...so I'm guessing yours is plywood, but as usual, I'm more than likely to be wrong.

7. whats the deal with plywood? sound any good? never had any deal with it (assuming this is plywood)...i kinda dig it, its heavier than any other p-bass ive played (much heavier than the '57 reissue which is about as heavy as a feather), the finish is cool too..love the chunky brass bridge as well

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Thats cool now you can fix it up :hyper:

Thing that bothers me the most is finding an old bass like that and opening it up and find like a dead rat or a fingure in it. AAAHHHH!!

9. With the one I had it really didn't sound that bad, but if you strip the finish, make sure you get a non-transulecent one put back over because plywood bodies look ugly by themselves.

10. lol..dead rat...that wouldnt of surprised me..she's from a rural area (which i love visiting 56 acres on a river, not to mention my quad :D ) and she got it from a farm auction...i can picture it now with a warmoth neck, two single coils between the pup and bridge and another split coil at the neck..BOOTSY inspisired, i spose i could cover it in rhine stones too

11. so what ya's reckon, would it be worth it bringing it back up to playable standards, neck and more pickups, or should i chuck the body, keep the pup and bridge and get myself a jazz (as planned) and chuck the pup in that?

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Do you have the time, energy and money to bring it back to life?........THEN GO FOR IT!!.

On the headstock you should wright "Farmer Fresh" in fender style wrighting :D

13. ahhh i think ill leave the headstock blank :p ...but i have my tax return coming through soon :D theres an australian brand of pickups and strings i wanna try (puretone) and a pair of jazz pickups are only $70, they use alinco 5 magnets...and im not sure about the neck yet, i might go warmoth or if i can get a decent precision neck replacement that'll be it.....so all in all, i might be converted from my old hatred of p-basses :p , it was just the single pickup that annoyed me about them, and their obscure lightness, i like me basses heavey and my women light :p (sorry in advance lol)

14. My advice: Don't spend too much money on it, 'cause you'll never see it again!

If you just want to have the fun of building the bass back up to a playable condition, I'm pretty sure Venue music sell kit form P-bass necks that would be pretty cheap compared to warmoth.
    If you're after a more J-bass type sound it would be easier and more economical to install just one single coil Pure-Tone at the bridge and keep the Pick up that's in there, rather than a major operation of replacing both pick ups.
    BTW, you are the first person I've ever come across who likes heavy basses. If you spend most of your playing time seated, no problem, but if you have to stand for hours on end at gigs and rehearsals, ha ha :eyebrow:

Congratulations on you find.

15. i really only practise a little sitting, basically working on my tapping....but i prefer standing, love a big heavey chunk of toneful wood in my hands...i was aiming for the stu hamm urge bass style pickup layout, i like having my pickups even, i barely pan closer to the bridge or neck, but i forgot about the kits from venue...im visiting venue music tomoro :D ...kill a bit of time before the vai concert...i could go the other direction and make the kit keep this brass bridge and pup and have two split coils and a j pup at the bridge...i aiming for a spread out pickup config almost to the extremes, right on the bridge and neck and one in the middle...so many choices :bawl:

16. When you get to the Vai concert, look for me in the rows to the right of the stage, in the second set of rows back from the front. I've got fair-ish shoulder length hair a mo and gold glasses. I look 40'ish.
    Forget Vai, Billy Shehans who I'll be looking at. I've got one of his Attitude series basses BTW, a five string and they rock.

17. For sure do something with the body so that you can work on getting to know how a bass works and how to mod one/create your own.

18. row v...seat 17 :p ..im gonna try and get in for soundcheck...id love to bring stu's old kubicki which is now in my hands to get steve to sign it :D , right next to stu's name...i wouldnt mind one of those attitudes, but the two outputs kinda doesnt appeal to me

19. yeah...im not too keen on pulling apart my kubicki... :p