What a sweet Mesa combo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdogg, Oct 16, 2006.

1. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
  2. schweeeet!

3. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I wonder what they're giving for a pint of blood these days?:eyebrow:

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had one! A cool, all-tube amp. But, it weighs a ton! Seriously, Buster 1X15 combos are very heavy. The wheels are too small also. They are skate wheels and one trip over some gravel eats the tolex off the bottom. If you can lift it, go for it!

5. realdeal

realdeal Inactive

Dec 10, 2004
    kdogg-
    Mesa stopped producing Busters a few years back. Their website has info on them under the discontinued items link.

I have a Buster 2x10 Wedge; used with a matching Diesel 1x15" Cab. Stand-alone or with the cab, it sounds phat, vintage,
    clean, and AWESOME! With (6) 6L6GC's in the power section it is way loud too... Great product that should silence anyone foolish enough to diss combo amps as well.

They are a beotch to transport-That's one reason why a tube combo works great from a sound standpoint, but falls short in the marketing department. The trend is smaller, lighter,and louder, but you will NEVER get the sound of all-tubes other than... all-tubes!
    Had to laugh about the tolex-ripping comment, 'cause that's exactly what happened to mine 1st time I rolled it out of the studio!! From now on, I get help carrying the rig- It weighs
    about 90 lbs, and the 1x15 combo you saw is a bit more!

It is worth it though for the incredible sound-Hope you get a chance to play through one & see for yourself.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Neat amp. Very reminiscent of the old Fender Studio bass, a 200 watt, 115 combo. They sounded great, but you had to be friggin Hercules to move it!

7. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I also had one of these 1x15 Busters. LOVED the organic-ness of it, but +1 on the weighti-ness of it.

I often wondered how popular the Buster preamp section would be if Mesa put it out as a stand-alone unit.

I also wish the Buster combo would be re-incarnated as a 1x12 (with matching 1x12 extension cab) to save size and weight, and to take advantage of the "punchier" (IMO) tonality of 12's.

I personally think that would slay!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021