1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What a very pleasant surprise!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joebingo, Apr 15, 2009.

1. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    Well, just got my delivery from webstrings.com. When I ordered them not even a week ago I decided to finally take the plunge, and added a set of their flatwounds to my shopping cart.

Immediately when I got home from work today, I restrung my precision with the flats. My first impressions were mostly good, it took me a while to get used to the feel and tension, I played unplugged until I got used to the strings.

Then I plugged the bass into my amp (Peavey TKO 115, red trim model), and was absolutely floored by the tone. Everything I've been searching for in a solo bass sound, I'd almost got there with my 5 month old Black Beauties, but it still wasn't quite there.

With the flats on there, it was perfect straight away. Deep and booming, dark, growly and quite mellow but also with some nice high mids.

Then I started jamming to some reggae, modern rock as well as all of the songs I did with my last band and the reggae songs from my current band, it all seems to fit together really nicely.

Now I've just spent the last couple of hours learning a few songs off 'The Pious Bird of Good Omen' (Fleetwood Mac). It was a good evening. :bassist:

2. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    precision bass + flats + playing some reggae basslines = win :bassist:

3. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    i recently did the same thing, ive got some webstrings flats on my precision that Ive been using for Queen covers. loving it.