1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what a waste

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MStrianese, May 10, 2010.

1. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    So, I decided last year that I would enroll in AP theory my senior year. The year went by and I was doing well, I got a 95 on the midterm, and maintained an A- average. I thought I understood most of it - I was wrong.

Today was the AP test, which I was required to pay $87 for, and score a 4 (out of 5) on to receive the credit for college next year. I've never felt so stupid in my life. I knew near nothing! Guessed on more than half the multiple choice, randomly spewed notes onto my paper for the melodic dictation, gave up on the sight-singing halfway through the second example, and bombed the figured bass. I think the only thing I knew was how to write a bass line for the provided melody.

So after sitting in some crammed lab for 7 hours, spending $87, and taking a full year course, I'm pretty sure my only reward will be a 2, as well as the luxury of repeating the course next year. :help:

End rant.

Edit- Mods feel free to move to misc if this doesn't belong here.

2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Didn't Charlie Parker use to say that you just learn everything so that you can forget it onstage? Don't sweat it. If you know that you know what you know then you know it. :)
    Just work on whatever needs work and get a 5 next year. It happens to the best of us, sometimes.

3. knowing the answers and understanding how things work are not always the same.....perhaps looking at the subject matter in a different way might salvage the material,if not the grade

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    I agree with this, exams are about what you can represent on paper not what you know. I would be wondering why you could maintain the "A" average then struggle with the exam.
    From what you describe it sounds like you were not prepared for this exam in anyway so i would question why to your teachers.:)

5. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Two things.

1) If your grade was that high in the class and yet you felt completely unprepared while taking the exam, that's not your fault. That's your teacher's fault. Don't take the class next year and waste your time, rather, buy some AP study aids and teach yourself the material again.

2) Preliminary theory classes in college, especially music school, often offer credit by exam. Basically, you can test out of them. If this isn't official policy, very often you can do it anyway by talking to the professor and registrar's office.

6. AP exams are notoriously difficult to prepare for. I wouldn't worry about it. I took AP physics and calculus in high school and practically no one got 4s on their tests. I want to say out of classes with 25 or so, maybe 1 or 2. I got 3s on both. I wound up taking both subjects again in college and it was kick-ass to have the prep. I got As in both classes, iirc, and kinda walked through them.

7. same thing happened to me in Highschool. Got a 2 on the Ap theory. I can tell you I barely use the information I learned in that class. I stored it in the back of my mind and it comes up when i need it. I'm studying jazz theory in college which is waaaaay more fun. So dont sweat it.

8. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    Thanks guys, that post was fueled mostly by anger. I agree with all of you. I'm a much better musician than I was a few months back, and I really do owe it all to that course (admittedly, I rarely use the info from that class:p).

I also agree with the comments on the teacher. My teacher is beyond gifted, hes a fantastic piano player, knows his theory inside and out, and his ears are golden. He toured with The Village People in the 80's which is also pretty cool. He's a great guy.. just lacks a little in the teaching department.

I'll let you know how I did... I think I find out in July :smug:.

9. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    +1000

i got sent to the office last week for saying nearly the same thing in my high school accounting class but its true. theres more then one way to skin a cat as my grandpa would say

10. lol I took that today too and actually knew how to do most of it. Guess it depends on the teacher.