1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What a week (story)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know if anyone noticed, but I haven't been on here since Saturday night/Sunday morning. I have been without power for 60 hours starting from Sunday at about noon. I just got my internet up about an hour ago, so I had to get on.

The local area I live in had a freak wind storm. It was a beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky. About 85 degrees temperature. I woke up at about 11am. I just layed in my bed. I heard a loud whistling out my window. I looked out. There was a good steady wind. I decided to go get my shower. About 10 minutes into my shower the lights went out. Great.:rolleyes: I got out and put on a Metallica shirt (of course). I looked outside. Ther must have been a 60-70mph wind. It was steady, it wasn't dying down. Keep in mind that I live in a heavily wooded neighborhood, at least 2000 trees. I decided to step outside and feel the wind. I hear all of this popping and snapping and craking. There are trees falling in every direction. It was a mess. It sounded like a war was going on. My mom was hysterical, she was screaming cause trees were falling literatly every single second if not shorter than that.
    This 70mph wind was steady for 5 hours straight. I am dead serious too. Anybody from the Louisville, KY area could back me up on this. I live in southern Indiana, so it might be a little different, but I hear it was the same all around this area. At about 6 that night I went out with my dad to start the clean up. I did this for about 2 hours, until it got dark. Next morning, still no power. Worked all day. at least 10 hours. Next day, still no power. Worked another good 8 hours. I have never cut down and burned so many trees in my life. I don't think I ever will either. My neighborhood (10 houses) has never had anything liek this ever happen to us.
    A couple of positive things did come out of this though. I learned that anything can be cooked on a grill. Bagel Bits, pizza, hot chocolate, spagetti. Everything we had that hadn't spoiled yet was cooked on my grill. It was great. We had no generator, and every retuaraunt within 25 miles had no power. So we at all of our food on the grill. The second great thing that came out of this is that I went out and got a job! It was actually an accident, but i got one. I was at the post office dropping off some packages of items I had sold on Ebay. Whiel I was there I ran into the wife of one of the owners of a local Mom and Pop music store here in town. I was telling her about how I did all my Ebay stuff, and how much I have made from doing it. She was astouded. About an hour later I decided to go to the guitar store just to play around since I had nothing better to do. The lady i ran into at the post office happened to be there. Sure said to me, "Hey Mitch! Come over here, I need to talk to you." I did and she asked me, "How would you like to work for me?" I didn't know what to say. I said, "What would you like me to do for you?". She said, "I want you to be inchage of our online Ebay sales, because I don't have time and you know much more about it than I do." I said I'd love to do that. So I got a job I can't be mre happy with. I work at a guitar store and get to do it from home! Can't beat that for being only 15 years old. The best part is that the store carries GK.:D;)

What a week.:bassist:

Btw, I do have one picture on my phone of a huge tree down as proff, but it does not do justice to how bad my neighborhood was damaged. We had about 300 trees down. No joke. It was god awful, and I hope it never happens again.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Did either of the hurricanes roll you're way?

3. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I think it was the wind from Ike. There was no rain or anything. Just wind. It was a perfectly clear sky. The most amazing thing I will probably ever see in my life.

4. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    How did you grill during the storm? Or was that after it had passed?

5. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    We grilled after it passed. The wind stopped at about 6pm, so we grilled around 7pm and later. I really don't know the times cause I had no clocks working. lol

6. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    You're right, that was a week(sic) story. :)

7. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I forgot to say that all the schools have been shut down all week, but I jsut got a call from my school saying we have a 2-hour delay tomorrow. I don't get it. What the heck is that going to do? It's pointless. We've missed all week, and now the only day is 5 hours long? That is a load of BS.:scowl:

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Why complain? This is when I would go surfing, but considering that you're geographically impaired, yeah, I guess you're just pissed.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Very cool on the job. Now you can cap off your great week by going out to Valhalla and catching a round of the Ryder Cup.

-Mike

10. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I was going to the Pep Rally for that tonight, and listen to 3 Dog Night play, but now that I have school tomorrow I won't be able to.:scowl: It sucks.