Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what a week...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, today I broke a molar that was supposed to have a crown on it, but my Illinois KidCare insureance wouldn't pay for it a few years back, soooo, it broke. And also, I just got tested for carpal tunel syndrome, and I don't know those results yet. My aunt has got pretty serious heart probs. So, oral surgery is looming in my future, and possible hand surgery. I have NEVER had a surgery before. Freaky stuff, but I know I can handle it. But the family stuff sucks. I really hope she is ok. She has had a pacemaker from her mid 20's, and the doctor couldn't believe her heart problems as she is not overweight at all. Just shows to go ya, overweight doesn't cause everything as some doctors seem to think.

Thanks for listening, er, reading...

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    C.T. isn't THAT bad of a thing, unless you really let it get out of hand. I've been living with it for two years in both wrists now.
    Sorry to hear about everything else. Hope it all works out soon!

Ray

3. I have CTS, and here is what I can tell you about my experiences with it.

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT CONTINUE TO SEE A DOCTOR ABOUT THIS. Why? Wrist problems usually stem from poor circulation in the neck, and any type of steroids or surgery will not fix that.They will only give you steroid injections or give you surgery which rarely, if ever fixes this problem. I wasted an entire year of my life with a doctor and now I have two surgery scars I didn't need, and even worse, it has affected my playing ability greatly.

Now I'm seeing a chiropractor and he's done more for me in two months than the doctor has a whole year. See a chiropractor who knows about wrist problems. Trust me on this. Do not make my mistake.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I trust your instincts on mystery shopping, but I can not on this one. My wife was diagnosed with CTS. She had the surgery about a month after the diagnosis. Her wrist and hand have been pain free since. No chiropractor involved.

Dude....be careful about passing out medical advice.

-Mike

5. Well man, thats my experience with CTS, and my wrist health has greatly declined since surgery, and I will never recommend it to anyone, because it can be preventable.

My first month was great, but then I felt the same old problems again. Like I said, in my case, my problems stem from my neck, and no wrist surgery will fix that.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

That sucks that it hasn't worked out better for you. My wife could not be happier with her surgery. Your first post was so adamant about how it doesn't work that I thought someone should mention the fact that for some people it does work.

-Mike

7. Chiropractors can't fix carpal tunnel. It's a placebo effect. See the doc. They may recommend you to a neurosurgeon, or to a orthopedic doc. My mom had carpal tunnel surgery and her pain went away completely. The procedure is common and works- if you even need it.

8. Sorry, but that's a flat out lie. You don't have to believe me, but this is something I myself am experiencing, not just someone I know. I don't want to come off as harsh, but seriously, unless you've gone through this yourself you have no idea what it is like and you are completely ignorant of the situation.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, like I said, I live with it and never did the surgery cos of the fear of it being my wrist, y'know? I asked my doc about the chiro workin' on it and he said that for some people it works comepltly, for others it works sometimes, and others yet not at all. He said a similar thing about surgery. I never tried it, so I can't vouche for it one way or another. One thing he did tell me, and it kinda surprised me, was he said to try the Chiro first, as it'd be cheaper if it'd work, and if not, to have the surgery.
    Just my $0.02

Ray

10. Dude. That's terrible.

Rock on
    Eric

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Been there, done that with the CTS thing.

I didn't do surgery, steroid treatment, or chiro. Instead, I went to a physical therapist, who did wonders for me getting rid of my problem. The biggest thing I did was to change my right hand position when playing a bit, and be VERY conscious of how I was using my right hand at the computer. I also stopped doing a job that was causing severe repetetive stress on my wrist (window tinting).

A few things:

1) Try wearing a wrist brace when you sleep. Apparantly, a lot of people don't realize that they're holding their hands in bad positions when they're sleeping and it causes major trouble. I noticed improvement almost instantly just with this one thing.

2) Massage therapy WORKS, especially with the application of heat right before the massage.

3) Don't ignore the warning signs (numbness or "sleeping" in the hands, weakness of grip, pain). Go see a doctor IMMEDATELY. The longer you ignore the problem, the worse it will become.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Thanks for all the advice, people. I have also heard that a chiro works. A guy I work with told me that his wife has the same problem, and the chiro fixes it, and it stays that way for at least a year. I have a wrist brace, and I will be wearing it when I go to bed. I'll also get another when I get a chance for the other wrist. I have been paying attention to how I play, and I play with a soft enough touch that I don't even have to use my thumb at all on the back of the neck. I always keep my right wrist straight, and arch my fingers, just like you do when you are typing properly. I don't want surgery, because my mother has had bad experiences with both. I just need to keep my hand strength up, and most of all, flexibility. Warm ups are an essential part of my playing, and any work that involves my hands.

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Trevorus, I don't know much about any of the things you're talking about, but I hope you're feeling better. Medical stuff can be pretty tough, outlook-wise. Have you checked into the music medicine sites on the web? There's quite a few of them, and they have some pretty good info. Also you might check into the sports medicine folks, they're pretty smart most of the time (their knowledge is "operational", it has to be, to keep the athletes on line). Carpal is very common. A bunch of my computer geek friends have it, just from typing on a keyboard. (Oops, I better stop now). :D

Good wishes dude, and a positive path for you and your family. :)

(Edit: and, you have PM). :)

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Never got the PM, Non. I got my test results. It's tendonitis. I have had it for a long time judging by hpw my symptoms have flared up from time to time. I just got to take care of my hands. Probably end up wearing a wrist brace in bed. Maybe sometimes during the day. Got some anti-inflammatory as well. As far as the tooth goes, I am getting it out Thursday. Local only for anasthesia, and only the damaged tooth, not my wisdom tooth. So things are going better.

15. What orientation are your wisdom teeth coming in? I was just in today to have a cavity looked at (yes, I know, but I brush, floss, and mouth wash at LEAST twice a day, so explain how it happened) and they said that 2 of my wisdom teeth should go.

This is going to be fun.:rolleyes:

Rock on
    Eric

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They are angled at my other teeth, but they aren't impacted yet. I'd say about a 40 degree angle.

17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Cool. I'm doing Indomethacin (Indocin) myself, for a back condition. Anti-inflammatory medicine definitely helps sometimes! :) I'll see if I can PM you again. :D

18. Trev- I still like your "Who the fudge was THAT!" avatar.. reprise, please?? :)

Best wishes on the recovery, btw..

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, thanks. Get a supporting memebership (if you can afford it) and I'll email it to you. You can use it if you like! :)

Well, I have been using icy hot stuff, and I am still taking my anti-inflammatory. Wearing the brace as well. It sucks, because I have to use my hands ALL the time. Thanks for all the support, guys.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I got the tooth out. Man, those molars leave a big hole. I have to tooth, too. It's kind of interesting. I didn't know that the root was so huge.