Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What a Weekend! I learned something!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Apr 12, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was in Ann Arbor Friday for a closing. (IE; The sale of a house). I got there early so I had lunch at an "old haunt" and walked a bit about town. I lived in Ann Arbor for 15 years...about 14 years ago. I acted on a hunch, and found a phone book. Looked up the name of an old friend, dialed the #,and got through.
    "We're havin' a party tonite. C'mon by". Well, it was an extra 150 miles because I lived 50 miles away. It meant going home, and driving back again, to only have to drive home again, at a much later hour.

Well heck, I'm a sucker. After this experience, I can testify that I was never more comfortable around my old friends than I have been around "friendships" I have made in the last 12 years in my new town. These are "High" School chums, and unlike the "mature" relationships I have made in adulthood, I was totally relaxed, and we talked about anything, and everything without admonishment or judgement. But much snickering and hilarity.

I just wish I would have dropped in sooner. I realized that while my old friends haven't changed much, it's the first time in a long time I was able to unwind at a party.
    When I go to parties as an adult, there's some much decorum, posture, and talk of accomplishment.
    I prefered talking about The New York Dolls, etc., and how stupid we all used to get. I went home and played "Mandolin Wind", and got all sentimental.
    Has anybody else experienced this with "old friends"?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    not me.....most of my high school classmates are dorks, unemployed......i prefer to stay away from most of them....there are a few that i still enjoy their company....but they are hard to find.

-Mike

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I think most of my classmates that I hung out with are in jail, The ones that I got along with then I still see about once a year. That pretty cool considering that I graduated close to 15 years ago.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As youngsters we've all had our moments. In reflecting upon the evening, I was just at ease with them. When I am with the "adults" that I have met since in my new location, it's all about how much a$$ they/we are kicking, the stuff they own, or politics. This was an easy, fun night where all was just hangin' out, acting one's age was not a factor.

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Welcome to my life :D

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a great thing when you reconnect with longtime friends from the past, their will allways be that bond between you that time will not fade. I had a similar expirence on Ash Wednesday seeing people in the movie house to watch the Passion of the Christ i havent seen i years. I am glad you had that great opperunity to see your old friends again. :)