1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What about 5 strings Basses !!!???!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yowa77, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Yowa77

Yowa77

Aug 30, 2010
    Hi everybody!!!
    I've always been playing 4 string basses... and I always said that I'm a 4 strings Bass Player... even I have two 4 strings bass guitars...
    Now I'm playing with a Reggae Band that needs that I play 5 strings, just because the bass player before me did it... some songs from their Cd can be played in a 4 string bass ... but the most of them don't... so I'm decided to buy a 5 string Bass... but I'm afraid that I never wanna play the 4 strings Basses...
    What do you think about it ???? ... should I be worried about It??? I really love my 4 string basses !!! :meh:
    HELP !!! :help:

2. Some players make the transition to more strings and never go back to 4 while others may play a 5 or 6 when needed but feel most at home on a 4.
    I prefer to play 4 string but am comfortable on a 5 or 6 if the gig or song needs it.

3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Why worry? If you want to keep playing your 4s then keep playing them. If you decide you don't want to play them anymore then sell them ...and buy another 5. :D

4. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I have 6 string basses that I use a lot, but when I just want to jam out for a bit I grab a 4. You could take one of your 4's and tune it BEAD if a 5 isn't for you.

5. LowerCrust

LowerCrust

Sep 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    I assume your band's music doesn't often use the top G string then.. Just buy the 5-string set of your choice, and string the lowest four strings on your instrument, and you'll end up with B-E-A-D tuning which should let you handle those lows without down tuning..

Or you could just tune in drop-D, maybe even go the whole way and tune a full step down to D-G-C-F if your brain likes that perfect-fourth note arrangement

6. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    If you are on a budget try tuning BEAD like Amadeus suggested.

I made the switch to 5 string a couple months ago and while I still have my 4, my next bass on order will be another 5. Switching back to my 4 string now feels awkward.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is such a tiny, insignificant thing, why all the frantic worry? Playing a 5 has exactly NOTHING to do with whether you play or enjoy 4's. Playing a 5 is not a big deal, and it does not spoil you for any other number of strings.

8. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    If you play 4's and pick up a 5, use the B as a thumb rest and go nuts.

9. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Alternatively you can buy a new set of strings and tune to BEAD, if you dig it then you will probably want to get a 5 string

10. NateSkate

NateSkate

Feb 20, 2011
    When I made the transition to 5 strings...I never played my 4 string anymore. I actually need to sell mine. Haha. Don't be afraid. Change in life is good!

11. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    play a 5 string and maybe you'll never want to have 4 again, i know i did that. Who needs 4 if you like 5 better?

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    REAL BASSES HAVE 5 STRINGS!

13. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    I love low notes. Even have a Hipshot xtender on one of my five strings. It is called bass after all :D

14. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL

Yes and they have 4, 6, 8 strings, etc.:meh:

15. NateSkate

NateSkate

Feb 20, 2011
    Nope it's either 5 or 7.

16. Dazey

Dazey

Dec 20, 2011
    St. Louis
    Now that this thread is here what are some good songs that use the b string? I need to start learning some

17. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!
    Hi!

I only used to play 4.... Now my Double Bass has 5 My ABG has 5 My Fretless has 5 ,and Fretted has 5......

Why?

Oddly enough its for just 2 Notes!!!!! But they are invaluable even though I only play the 10% of the time.

They are Eb and D.....

I don't know how I got by with out them........ On the Acoustics they aren't as loud, apart from arco playing, but on softer parts they are lush.......

It all boils down to one thing.... on a 4 string, in most keys one can play 2 octave scales that fall below Middle C, the dreaded north south divide.

But in two important Keys especially in Jazz one can't.

Thus the invaluable 5th string!

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Most Nickelback songs require a 5 string bass.

:bag:

19. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Play with horns you better get a B string. The guitarists in my band hate me, flipping to Eb is as simple as slipping down half a step.

20. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    This, as an experiment first. You may find you don't need the G string on the '5 string' songs, just lower notes than a 4 string can provide. You might save yourself a few 100 notes. If it turns out you actually do need a fiver, than go for it.

If all you need it drop D, then I can wholly recommend the Hipshot D-Tuner. It's one of those things that when you have one, you wonder how you lived without.