Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what about a 79 Stingray??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Someone offered me a 79 Stingray. It looks like it's in a nice condition, with ash body and maple neck. It's slling for about US $800-$900. I have no experience or played any musicman, but I own a L2000 with maple neck and alder body. I need anybody's help with comments and input regarding this bass. Thanks!!:)

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have '79 pre Ernieball Music man Sting Ray, maple fretboard, tiltable neck, muting pad . I sound and play great because aged wood.
    I bought it for US$ 300 equivalent, so I think the price you were offered for, is slightly high, but why not?

3. GroovBs

GroovBs

Jun 30, 2001
    Alabaster,AL
    Take any Stingray you can get your hands on. There is nothing better than a Music Man. And I say even over Fodera......although they are some bad mother basses(fodera)!!

4. I'm in Indonesia. So comparing prices and availability of basses like stingray is very different from in US. But I checked prices in bass northwest(if i'm not mistaken), that a 70's stingray cost about the same also. So you guys think that 800-900 is abit too much eh?

Anything I should be aware and concern when checking out the bass before buying it?? Like the hardware, bridge neck and etc?? Thanks!

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Arvidgunardi,

The price you're being offered is on the low end of what "pre-Ernie Ball" Music man Stingrays are going fo rin the US. If you have the option to check past eBay auctions you can get a pretty good sense of what they're going for. I generally see them in the $1,100 - 1,700 range.

Whether or not they are with that much more than the current vintage of Ernie Ball Music Man basses is another subject.

I'd look for straightness of the neck, and in the case of maple fretboards, I'd look for separation around the fret wires. I had a '79 Music Man Sabre bass with maple neck that was starting to show some cracking and separating around some of the lower fretwires.

Peace,

James