1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What about a horn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joelb79, Apr 15, 2006.

1. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I was thinking earlier while looking for replacement 10's for my cabinet...

WHAT ABOUT A HORN LOADED 2x10?

The speaker i have in mind, is not very efficient per say, but it has 11.1 mm of Xmax. If this speaker was horn loaded, what is to say that it cant become VERY efficient and make a ton of noise?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-574

However, im having problems locating any kind of designs for horn loaded enclosures. Does anybody have any resouces for:

Horn Loaded Designs?
    Theorys?
    Design Software?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The HL10c driver was specifically tailored by Eminence for use in the Tuba 24 cabinet.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Hey bill!

How does the tuba 24 sound in comparison to say... an eden 2x10?

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The T24 is a subwoofer, it does all its work below 100Hz. A typical commercial 2x10 does all its work above 100 Hz. There is no basis for comparison.

5. Bill does have the Omni 10 which is a 2x10 horn loaded cab. Check out his site!

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Bill i was talking about output wise, but you pretty much answered my question.

Better question, how would that compare to an 18" speaker in a ported enclosure crossed over around say.. 150hz.

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    Like a JBL 718? Not much competition. But this is all on my website, you should just go there.

8. As can be seen from the graph, a Tuba24 with a 10 will spank an 18" at 150 Hz. However, 150 Hz is out of the "subwoofer" range. Most sound operators cross over around 80 Hz.

As shown, a single 10" in a modest horn keeps with an 18" in the "grunt range" of 40~80 Hz. Note the SPL chart does not differentiate between the distortion of the 18 vs the loud, clean sound from the horn.

A more accurate measurement is found at 10 meters out, or farther. The Doppler distortion from the 18 falls away quickly and does not influence the measurement. A 10 meter measurement is more representative of real-world use, rather than bedroom distances. As with all cone drivers, the 10" in the horn also produces Doppler distortion, but it is swallowed up in the horn folds.

If it would EVER stop raining here, I have a new laptop measurment system all setup and ready to go. I'm interested in measuring anybody's commercial cab in an objective manner and posting the results on my upcoming web site. This will give a head-to-head comparison of BFD boxes and commerical cabs.

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'm sure that prospect has got every cab manufacturer pounding on your door so that you'll measure his products first.:hyper:

10. :D

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You're a gentleman and a scholar.

While you're at it, please do both on- and off-axis, and measure the port tuning frequency. This would be so useful to those of us who are trying to understand our gear choices.

Hopefully it will spur the speaker makers to follow suit. This would encourage real progress in the industry.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's probably got every cab manufacturer going back to the lab to make sure their specs are for real.

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    And admit they were lying all along?

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    lol, specs are basicaly a cheat on marketing.

really, the science behind speaker design designates what a speaker can or cannot do. although there are some great sounding products out there, why all the lies?

This is why i would rather design my own gear. Im no scholar, but im educated enough to not mess up on the little details. If only i was better at carpentry and soldering.

15. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Old thread, but is bgavin still around?

16. Still here.