What about a new "how I build a bass" thread?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Nov 17, 2004.

1. No thanks

8 vote(s)
  2. Yes

44 vote(s)
  3. Yes but with a different bass

11 vote(s)
  1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    maybe some of you remember that one or two years ago I started a thread about the constuction of a Plume bass.

I've now changed some specs and techniques and this old thread is out of date, without anymore picture in it.

I'll be starting a new batch of basses by the end of 2004 and I thought I could try to do a new "buidling thread".

I was thinking about demonstration the build of a Plume singlecut 4 hollowbody bass as this is a one of a kind project (I don't build 4 string basses usually).

So What do you guys think? Any interest in such a thread, even if it has been done before?

I ask because it's a lot of work to take all the pics and post them here with comment so I won't do it if there's no members interested.

2. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yes, please! I don't think anyone that knows your basses would ever want to pass on a chance to look at them. And I am obsessed with luthiery, because I eventually want to build my dream bass. Nobody makes a model just like what I want so when I am a good enough woodworker, I will do it myself.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Of course!

Your involvement on these forums is part of what makes it so great. I wish more luthiers would do what you do!
  4. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Yes please!! :D
  5. rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
  6. Oh yes please. If you don't mind flattery, I think that you build some of the finest basses money can buy and it would be great to see a master builder at his craft. I'm sure this thread would get loads of hits.
  7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    The last one was inspiring. I *almost* want to start building myself.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That'd be great!

I started to build my own neck-thru about 10 years ago and finally scrapped it due to lack of tools and time. :crying: It was a neck-thru wenge/bubinga neck with a bubinga body. I had the wenge fingerboard slotted for frets, the truss-rod channel dug in the neck, and the body wings roughed out. I still have the gold hardware.

After that project, I have tremendous respect for luthiers who can build a great product and would love to see one in action!

Can you take any videos and attach a link in this thread?
  9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I could technically do that but it would require even more time than pics and I don't think it will show things better.

10. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Hey JP

Sounds like a great idea. I've been contemplating building a bass but didn't really know where to start.
  11. Definitely a great idea. I would love to learn how to go about creating my own bass one day and would massively appreciate any information on the subject.
  12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    just a quick note. The thread will not be a bass building tutorial.
    It will just show how I build a JP bass just like the first thread did.
    There are some specifics to my basses and even ifyou should be able to use some of what you'll see to develop you knowledge about general bass building you won't learn how to build your own bass (there are plently of nice books about this subject)

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes! :hyper:

Me like the idea ;)

How's about putting it on your site, too - so that it wont be buried here with all the new posts and the pics wont be lost with the next site upgrade ;)
  14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
  15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    the thing is I do it to share with the TB community so it makes sense to have it here ;)

16. Yes !!! me also likes that idea :D
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ok, but it would be a good idea to have a back-up ;)
  18. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I learned a whole lot from that thread; I practically memorized it. An updated one would be great :) (although by now I probably have enough pics to do my own "How I build a bass" thread :D )
  19. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Definitely! That would be very cool, indeed. I'm currently embroiled in the beginnings of my custom neck-through six, and would appreciate the visuals...